What are you reading?

Home Forums Where The Children Play Entertainment What are you reading?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Orbital Sciences Director Gonzo, YJ 3 years ago.

What are you reading?

• Anonymous

I think one major thing I find to be fun is to read. Others may not have a interst in it, while others may be tickled by it. Now I personally am a fan of science fiction, fantasy, philosophy, and science non- fiction. But I am curious as to what YOU soldiers are reading!? Because imagination is the key to creativity!

I will start, right now I am reading a book titled;

Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion In a World Without God by Greg Graffin (of Bad Religion) & Steve Olson.

I chose this book, because I am intersted in Mr. Gaffin’s theories on science/evolution. And his ideas on atheism as it pertains to evolution and cultural influences. From his experiences in the punk scene and being a lecturer in life sciences and paleontology at UCLA.

• Captain Dermut
    Participant

necronomicon
    And
    eldritch
    And this one Alice has a permanent place on my nightstand, although it has been a while sinds I opened it.

• Engineer Airhead
    Keymaster

Ahh Good ol’ Lovecraft. I haven’t read a whole lot of his stuff but the stuff I have read I have enjoyed. Definitely love the Alice in Wonderland books as well. Have you ever happened to have read the book ‘Automated Alice’ by Jeff Noon? It is an interesting little trequel meant to be as if Carroll wrote a third Alice. I enjoyed it, but you have to take it for what it is. :D

• I really like a lot of the Alice revamps and changed stories, but usually only as a story themselves. I think most of them try to make to much sense. But they’re always fun to read, regardless.

Currently I’m reading Neil Gaimen’s “American Gods”, after just finishing “Neverwhere”

• Engineer Airhead
    Keymaster

Those are both great books! Did you happen to have seen the “Neverwhere” series that aired on the BBC a long while back?

• What?! I didn’t even know it existed!

• Engineer Airhead
    Keymaster

Yessum! Here is a link on Amazon. The series actually was developed into the novel. So they are pretty much one in the same. It is just cool to see it live action of course. :D

http://www.amazon.com/Neverwhere-Anniversary-Edition-Hywel-Bennett/dp/B005G1729K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345672006&sr=8-4&keywords=Neverwhere

• I’m currently enjoying George Mann’s “The Immorality Engine”; a fun, Sherlockian (if that’s a word), well-paced steampunk romp of a book.

Well Wishes and Miasthma Inhalers,
    – Dr. Sheilagh R. Elfinstone, D. Pr. M.

• I’m almost finished with the book Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. Is there anyone else on here that’s read it too? It’s amazing.

Oh, and American Gods is one of my favourite books.

• Aym
    Participant
  • Violet Oblivion
    Participant

okay first of all fdsaoghieorqtuqerdu~! Snow Crash was a blast and I am a huuuuuuuuge Neil Gaiman fan. He is my favorite author.

Um, anyway, I haven’t been reading anything super recently, but last thing I was reading was Cabal by Clive Barker, which is kind of interesting but I’m not totally into the plot. It’s the first thing I’ve read by him. I do like his writing style despite the plot so far, so I think I will look into him ore.

• Cadeon
    Participant

What Am I Reading?

Well, as of late, I’m reading My Book. It needs revisions.

• Silent Addle
    Participant

Currently reading some pulp sci fi trash that I can’t recall the name for the life of me, after I plan to read this amazing book I picked up in a charity shop ages back.
    The name is something like The Mammoth Book of Ghosts Mysteries and Thrillers, a collection of short tales, but what I loved about it is that the last dozen or so stories have a paper seal around them warning the reader that these stories are not for the faint of heart, but more amazingly the seal is still intact with the book dating back to 1936.
    Cannot wait until I can see just how these stories measure up!

• Brigadier Davis
    Participant

Im currently reading the “Watchman” comic book my brother got me for Christmas  He bought me V for Vendetta for my birthday, so im hoping to start to build a collection.

• Pvt. Dragoon
    Participant

Someone’s been editing posts. :I

Anyhow, reread the hobbit book (Like both the book and the movie, neither is a let down) and have picked up an old series I read in high school, “Keys to the Kingdom” Never got to read them all, so I’m starting over from the start.

• Private A. Gryphon
    Participant

I’m reading “The Night Circus” by Erin Morgenstern for the 8000th time. It’s my favorite book, and I highly reccomend. Our local bookstore has it in the steampunk section, but i’m not sure why it belongs there….

Also, “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” and “Who Are You People?” by Shari Caudron.

• Pvt Morglum
    Participant

fear to thread, by james swallow. part of the huge horus heresy series. its good so far….

• Professor Oplastik
    Participant

I’m currently reading this fantastic steampunk book, ‘Boneshaker’ by Cherie Priest.
    Good one so far!

• Mannerings
    Participant

American Gods – Neil Gaiman for the 1034th time :D

• Brigadier Davis
    Participant

have picked up an old series I read in high school, “Keys to the Kingdom” 

Is that the Garth Nix Series?

• Capitaine Moustache
    Participant

Late reply but anyway…

Last books read:

Le rire du cyclope (lit. The Laughter of the Cyclops), Bernard Werber

Les dieux voyagent toujours incognito (lit. Gods always travel anonymously), Laurent Gounelle

L’Élégance du hérisson (lit. The Elegance of the Hedgehog), Muriel Barbery

For the next books, I want to find some books of J. Verne, but also read again Carroll but in the text. Heard a lot about Lovecraft, maybe I should give it a try :)

• Reading Mort from the Discworld series.

I switch between books from Discworld and the Star Trek Typhon Pact series.

• Just started reading Slaughterhouse Five. 

• Keptin Alwinn
    Participant

Currently I am reading Red Dragon by Thomas Harris.

• Captain Dermut
    Participant

The wheel of time series.

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

I tried reading the wheel of time but it just seemed so slow to start that I couldn’t get into it 

• Try the audiobooks then. Trust me, the series is worth it!

• Well as much as I wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five I couldn’t get in to it. So finally reading The Graveyard Book instead.

• Brigadier Davis
    Participant

Im reading nothing :( ive moved house and all of my books are at my Parents 130 miles away! I feel alone and lost in a sad bookless world!

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

Current books I’m reading (interchanging randomly)

The Geek Manifesto – Henderson: Science and politics and why they never seem to mix.

Tubes – Andrew Blum: Looking at the backbone and trunk networks of the internet (those bits that connect your ISP’s to each other, secret data warehouses, etc)

And

The Everything Store: Which is about Amazon starting out as a bookstore and getting to the point they are now. I wanted to learn more about their infrastructure and distribution methods, because its system could be easily adapted to a resource based economy and the venus project.

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

I’m currently reading Investigating Psychology. Title sorta speaks for itself lol. Tis my coursebook for my Psychology Course

I’m trying to decide whether to reread The Old Kingdom Series or the Mistborn trilogy

• Mike Bigelow
    Participant

Currently reading “Around The World in 80 Days” by Jules Verne

• Athrun Nailo
    Participant

I am reading “The Secret Psychology of Freemasonry: Alchemy, Gnosis, and the Science of the Craft” by Cliff Porter at the moment.  Not sure what to read next.

• Geoff Nicholson
    Participant

I read this short story the other day.

• Pretzel
    Participant

Right now I’m reading the size tag on my pants and realizing I need more exercise. But besides that, the last books I read and absolutely adored were John Dies At The End and This Book Is Full Of Spiders by David Wong. Incredible reads, those smile.  Although if you like humorous fantasy/sci fi I highly recommend the complete “Myth” and “Phule” series by the late (RIP Sir) Robert Asprin. The man was a master punster and had a gift for humorous, yet compelling, stories.  Ex: in one of the Phule books, the chaplain is a member of the “Elvisites”, and in their religion you get reconstructive surgery and hairdos to look like Elvis. He is throwing the pitch of his religion to a bunch of soldiers that have gone into debt on a gambling planet.  he tells them the Elvisites will pay off all their debts if they become Elvisites themselves.  So one solder stands up and plainly says: “So what you’re offering me is a Face worse that Debt?”….  If you even cracked a miniature smile at that, do yourself the luxury of reading more of his work laugh. Game on!

• Epsilon V. 2.5
    Participant

I am currently in the process of reading “The Greatest Show On Earth” by Richard Dawkins. I’m reading it to gain a bit of a better understanding of the processes and evidences for evolution and its accompanying theory, and experience a bit of Mr. Dawkins’ wit. I’m hoping to get some books dedicated to biology and chemistry in general and go through those as both fields apply to my(hopefully) future career as a bio-medical engineer.

• I’m reading the latest Zenit, a Dutch astronomy magazine. The book I’m currently reading, or at least have to pick up to continue in again is “The New Watch” by Sergei Lukyanenko. Part of the Night Watch series which started as trilogy about Others living among normal humans. The Others can visit a parallel dimension so to speak and have access to magical abilities. There are light others, from enchanters, magicians and healers and then there are dark others, from vampires and werewolves to shapeshifters, witches and dark magicians. I really recommend the series. more info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Watch_(Lukyanenko_novel)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.