Toy Soldier radio invasion

Home Forums General Discussions Toy Soldier radio invasion

• This topic is empty.

Toy Soldier radio invasion

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Hello fellow toy soldiers. I’ve been thinking up an idea to help us spread the word of the toy soldiers that anyone with credit can do. We’ve all heard of requests on the radio, probably… Anywho, it’s where you text in a song you want to be played and sometimes it gets played, well what if worldwide lots of requests come in for Dr. Steel songs with a message about the website? Plus to even add to that what if we organised days where we saturate the stations with simultaneous requests around the world? That could even make the news. Please give me feedback to this idea. To a Utopian Playland!!!! :)

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

I love this. This used to be an ongoing mission when Doc was still about.

However, rather than just Doc’s stuff, what about Toy Soldiers music?

Like Marquis of Vaudeville who gave us (and I mean GAVE us for free) their song Utopian Playland

Or perhaps Caspar Byron who together with Aegis run and produce their own music label, Pegasia Music

And of course Lucas Usagi and Broken Loony, who gave us Sol Detector

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Of course. The more the better, I just think it could really help open the toy soldiers up to the public.

• Pvt Morglum
      Participant

great idea.

pick a radio station and when they ask for txts for the next song we get as many toy soldiers as possible to all request the same song.

all we need to do is pick a radion station. pick a song. and we have dr steel on the air!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

The only thing is that in different countries there are different radio stations. Here in Ireland I would recommend RTE 2fm, while in Britain a BBC radio station maybe? And I’m afraid I haven’t the faintest clue about any American radio stations. Why don’t people post in one for their country or nationality and we’ll collect a list.

• Captain Dermut
      Participant

Pvt Morglum: all we need to do is pick a radion station. pick a song. and we have dr steel on the air!

I think this might be workable but it’s a fairly local thing, unless, offcourse, you are talking internet radio. In the latter case it would be a problem getting new ppl to listen sinds the competition (or just the volume of stations out there allready) is pretty feirce. But if we did get our own station, I wouldn’t mind donating some of my musical concoctions (those that survived the hard disk crash) I mucked about with, if the DJ finds them acceptable.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Ok this is the start of the list. Please tell me your country’s radio station and number.

UK – BBC 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/djs/) contact can be made from there through e-mail.

Germany – STAR FM (http://www.facebook.com/starfmberlin [you can use google translate]), send requests from there.

Ireland – RT

• Commander Radar
      Participant

First request is sent. Huzzah!!!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Ok. This is how I think the system shall work. Someone from one of the countries wants to make a request with a number of other toy soldiers so that lots of requests come in and have more chance of being played. As an example I am that person and I would say Ireland – RT

• Pvt Morglum
      Participant

great stuff. ill find out abit about the bbc radio request system and then organise some of the uk soldiers to all nominate a song at the right time…but what if the dj doesnt have any dr steel songs to hand? haha

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Email them to that dj beforehand?

• Chaplain Gumdrop
      Participant

Not quite the same, but Radio KoL takes requests all the time, and all DJs are volunteers. If we have some Kingdom of Loathing players around we can get stuff on the shoutcast anyhow.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Chaplain Gumdrop:
      Not quite the same, but Radio KoL takes requests all the time, and all DJs are volunteers. If we have some Kingdom of Loathing players around we can get stuff on the shoutcast anyhow.

That’s Excellent. I’m sure there are somewhere.

• Chaplain Gumdrop
      Participant

Yeah, it’s kingdomofloathing.com and a few DJs even do a steampunk show.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Still looking for new radio stations if anyone knows of any?

• YJ Grimm
      Participant

This is a wonderful idea :)

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Ok, I think the best way to do this is to jump in with both feet. We need a country and a song to start with. Shout out if you have a preference and I’ll try and organise the rest.

• Pvt Morglum
      Participant

why dont we start in ireland?

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Sure thing. I will arrange it all for some time next week and we shall take it from there.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

I apologise for letting this idea slip out of use, but I ended up in hospital. Still, I would like to get it back on track if there’s still interest?

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

More than happy to help out with this one!

• Pvt Morglum
      Participant

up still up for it soldier!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Ok. That’s fantastic. I’ll get planning then. :D

• Sounds great.  Hope you are doing well!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Ok, after my on and off health this became a bit of a flop but I think I’ve finally managed to pull it together. If anyone is up for this the country is Ireland, the station RTÉ, the date Wed. 20th of February, the time 15:00 GMT, the E-mail address [email protected], the song We Decide It by Dr Steel.

The message could go something along the lines (by all means make it up, but keep polite!!!) “Salutations, I am member of the army of Toy Soldiers, an organisation that is devoted to fun and creativity. I would like to spread this message to the people through music and so request the song ‘We Decide it’ by our founder Dr. Steel. If anyone is interested in the army, our site is wwww.toysoldiersunite.com. Your’s sincerely Commander Radar [your toy soldier name instead would probably be better]”

What do people think? Is anyone up for a go?

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

You have my sword!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Note: If times are inconvenient, because, say you’re in West USA and don’t feel like E-mailing at 7 in the morning it’s early enough for me to change times, but please inform me soon, the later it gets, the more awkward!!!

Oh, and thanks Dutch! XD

• @Sgt. Dutch said:
      “You have my sword!”

And my axe

• Rage-O-Meter
      Participant

I’ll do what i can over here in the USA East. And if my Conversion of GMT to EST is correct (Which i highly doubt) At 10:00Am Est I’ll be sending that Email or One a bit closer to it.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

That adds up fine with me Rage-O-Meter, I thank you for your participation.

• Dr. Pie
      Participant

@Commander Radar said:
      Ok, after my on and off health this became a bit of a flop but I think I’ve finally managed to pull it together. If anyone is up for this the country is Ireland, the station RTÉ, the date Wed. 20th of February, the time 15:00 GMT, the E-mail address [email protected], the song We Decide It by Dr Steel.

The message could go something along the lines (by all means make it up, but keep polite!!!) “Salutations, I am member of the army of Toy Soldiers, an organisation that is devoted to fun and creativity. I would like to spread this message to the people through music and so request the song ‘We Decide it’ by our founder Dr. Steel. If anyone is interested in the army, our site is wwww.toysoldiersunite.com. Your’s sincerely Commander Radar [your toy soldier name instead would probably be better]”

What do people think? Is anyone up for a go?

Sound fun, I’ll make sure to send out an email.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Excellent. The hour is nearly upon us. I want to thank all toy soldiers getting involved and I hope this project continues after the first invasion too…

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Tomorrow at 15:00 GMT is the invasion, don’t forget!!!

• Rav Count Jew
      Participant

I have the message drafted and ready to send.  

We should do this on Toy Soldier Day also.

• Rage-O-Meter
      Participant

My message is primed and ready to fire.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

@Rav Count Jew said:
      I have the message drafted and ready to send.  

We should do this on Toy Soldier Day also.

Almost definitely, we just need someone to take it on for their country or state. If anyone wants to give it a shot, just post here.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

My e-mail is sent.

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Aaaand sent

• Rage-O-Meter
      Participant

Bombs were away at ten.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Unfortunately the song was not played, but let that not dampen our morale. Which person would like to nominate their area next?

• Mike Bigelow
      Participant

Love this Idea… count me in! 

• Commander Radar
      Participant

@Mike Bigelow said:
      Love this Idea… count me in! 

Excellent. Then perhaps you might want to put forward your own area next. Just pick a local radio station (the more listeners the better), contact details (preferably e-mail), date and time (put in the time zone) you want people to help you invade and a song TSU related. Do you want to give it a go?

• Mike Bigelow
      Participant

@Commander Radar said:

@Mike Bigelow said: Love this Idea… count me in! 

Excellent. Then perhaps you might want to put forward your own area next. Just pick a local radio station (the more listeners the better), contact details (preferably e-mail), date and time (put in the time zone) you want people to help you invade and a song TSU related. Do you want to give it a go?

Sure! I’ll look into it and report back.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Wonderful. Glad to hear it.

• Mike Bigelow
      Participant

Station: My 99.5

Song to request:  Utopian Playland by, Marquis of Vaudeville

Time/date: Thursday, Mar. 7, 2013 @ 4:00 PM 

Standard time zone: UTC/GMT -7 hours

Send Request Via this link:  http://www.my995fm.com/pages/request/

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Ok, I’m up for this. It is a tad soon though. Might you want to give people a while to realise what’s going on methinks? Maybe the 7th of March or so, just so people get a chance to see the post and prepare. It’s up to you, either way, you have my voice (albeit in text form).

• Mike Bigelow
      Participant

@Commander Radar said:
      Ok, I’m up for this. It is a tad soon though. Might you want to give people a while to realise what’s going on methinks? Maybe the 7th of March or so, just so people get a chance to see the post and prepare. It’s up to you, either way, you have my voice (albeit in text form).

Very well, the 7th it is. :)  

(I do tend to get a little ahead of myself… haha)

• Rage-O-Meter
      Participant

Alright i’m up for it.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Invasion today, so get your waste dispensers in gear, it’s time to brainwash some civilians!!!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Half an hour to go.

My request is primed.

• Commander Radar
      Participant
    • Mike Bigelow
      Participant

Sorry for the greatly delayed report. >.> 

Unfortunately despite our efforts the song was not played. :(

On a more positive note though, I have been informed by friends that this song has already been played on occasion here. Thanks to all those who sent in the request! 

-Mike Bigelow      

• Commander Radar
      Participant

That is a positive note. Again if anyone wants other people to get them to flood their radio station with prop, then please post invasion details here.

• Not many here in America but I will be requesting Utopian Playland to Sunny 92.3.

• Idea. I want to make a CD of all of the fan-made music, other than SOL Detector which is already a CD  and give it out at various places, with the permission of @sergeantdutch, of course. Still need to get a better understanding of our copyright agreements.

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

If it’s available for download in the Audio Propaganda section, you can make your own CD’s, though again in regards to Sol Detector you need to ask Lucas Usagi. So long as you don’t make money, and you give credits to the artists, it’s all good.

•  @sergeantdutch: I wouldn’t make the SOL Detector album, just a mix of different audio propaganda. Examples would be Close Encounters by Adam Stephens, Dr. Steel Blues by Jonny B. Goode, ect.

• Anyone know how to get in touch with these people to get download info/right to use there music?

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Have you tried searching the members directory and PM’ing them?

• Well, I got in touch with Jonny and he was alright with me using the Dr.Steel Blues, but he wishes he could re-record it even though it is pretty good, and I’m still looking for the others. I will let you know if I run into any problems.

• Anyone know how I can find Adam Stevens for Close Encounters?

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Have you tried going through the TSU facebook profiles friend list?
      It’s pretty much your first stop for searching people besides the members directory:

https://www.facebook.com/toysoldiers.unite

• I use Facebook so little I didn’t even think of that. (derp) thanks Dutch.

Viewing 62 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.