Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type

The first TSU Christmas Single Discussion

Home Forums General Discussions The first TSU Christmas Single Discussion

• This topic is empty.

The first TSU Christmas Single Discussion

• Silent Addle
      Participant

By now we are all aware of the density of the Christmas musical market, every singer and their mother wants to be #1 for Christmas and it turns out we’re no different.

Okay, we are different, we don’t care about being #1, we just want to have a little fun and maybe do some good at the same time.

So I have a proposition for you, what if we as a group recorded a Christmas Single.

There are multiple methods of recording a charity single, the ways we are looking at mainly well one is having everyone singing a single line and the other is having a lead singer and a group chorus, seeing as we are a group that spans the world, with varying levels of technology it is hard to ensure we all provide the best quality, so though I would love to have everyone recording a line it may be harder to do well however.

We already have a possible song in the works (honestly, it’s like Dr Malice comes prepared for everything) but if people prefer we can perform a cover of a popular song, the only problem with that is having to provide royalties to the original artist, we can do that but it means less money for our charity and will provide more restrictions upon what we do.

So, who is interested? Who wants to help organise, who wants to help record and promote?

Do we want to make it a Toymas Single, or just stick to Christmas? The possibilities are endless.

All ideas are welcome, we just need your input as this is a group event and I don’t want to go steamrolling on my own.

So who is with me?

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

There’s some assistance provided here:

• Dr. Malice
      Participant

If we’re doing a whole album, why not make it both music and stories?

I know I personally would like to recite “The Grinch Who Stole Christmas” (but maybe with a TSU twist? spacecraft)

Either way, yes, I have ideas. 

Awful ideas.

I have Wonderful, awful ideas! hae18bliss_gifborg_assimilation_faces_gif

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

I think considering the scope of the single, to include toy soldiers from across the army, a single might be a better focus than an album.

• Dr. Malice
      Participant

True, however we shouldn’t totally rule out the idea for the future! 296

• Silent Addle
      Participant

Though, of course if we can get the single sorted or at least begun, if the musicians desire to add their own track to an Album that won’t be discouraged, we just need to get a Charity Single sorted.

Though I do wonder about an aggressive social media campaign, putting the single on iTunes and Amazon, seeing if we can reach #1 in the Uk… We can but dream.

• I still think we would have a shot at Eurovision if we tried… kiss

• Silent Addle
      Participant

Then by all means, but which country do you wish to represent?

• Dr. Malice
      Participant

Why not all of them? Is there an “International” section?

• Silent Addle
      Participant

Unfortunately not, it’s like an informal singing competition between (mostly) Europe, they each send in an act and it gets rated.

Only way to get in is if a country decides to send you, so though we could get a song for the contest, actually getting to perform it is another matter.

• Could any of us pretend to be from Luxembourg?

• Silent Addle
      Participant

Right, back to the discussion at hand.

As I see it, we have two main choices the first being we write an original song and the second being a cover/parody of an established track.

If we go for the cover/parody, we shall have to license the song which means cutting into our donation, however it will mean our song will already be known.

If we write something, we need to do it soon to allow for recording in plenty of time for Christmas.

But we’re looking to give a toy this Christmas, spread a little joy this Christmas.

We want to make a small difference in the world, so lets roll!

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

Ideally, I’d go for something we wrote ourselves. Sure, a parody or cover would already be known, but we are here to create and to inspire. I think our very own Christmas song would send a better message than a cover version.

• Silent Addle
      Participant

I would also prefer a unique song and we do have the talent to pull it off.

I think it would just be a matter of having a license so that TSU can in perpetuity use their recording for reasons of promotion and charitable fund raising, allowing the creators free reign to use the song how they wish from the next Christmas season.

So we’d get a year of exclusivity, then they get their work for their own needs, or something, it needs to be discussed!

• Dr. Malice
      Participant

Here’s an old song of mine that, if re-worked, would work for the TSU Charity Christmas Single. The original idea of the song is about Santa’s Christmas Eve run and the various stops around the world he makes. It references a few well known (and not so well known) Christmas songs, i.e. Dominick the Donkey, Santa’s Using Zebras Now, etc.

International Christmas MP3 By Dr. Malice

Please excuse the terrible quality of both the recording and the person singing (tee-hee). This was recorded many years ago and I had no idea what I was doing then! lol

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

But if it’s a parody, we don’t have to license it. It’s best to ask permission, but parody is the first-redoubt of Fair Use!rolleyes

• Silent Addle
      Participant

We would end up in a gray area I fear, though a parody may not need to pay for a license we may not strictly end up in parody territory as we’re not really lampooning the original as much as just writing our own lyrics for it, so I fear we may still need to pay up.

Viewing 16 reply threads

The forum ‘General Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.