The Doctor still lives on in spirit

Home Forums Where The Children Play The Doctor still lives on in spirit

• This topic is empty.

The Doctor still lives on in spirit

• Epsilon V. 2.5
      Participant

Yesterday while playing Team Fortress 2 on Badwater, after each round I would name myself something different. First was Badwater: The Baddening, then was Badwater 2: Water Boogaloo. The first thing I thought of for round 3 was Badwater 3: Return of Doctor Steel. After typing Water Boogaloo, I thought of Electric Boogaloo, which made me think of our good Doctor.

Some people immediately got the reference. It took me by surprise, since Doctor Steel has been a fairly obscure entity in recent years. Just goes to show that if you leave a good impact on people, they’ll never forget you.

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

I am often surprised by how many people actually know the Toy Soldiers and/or Doctor Steel. A while ago, I posted a comment to Celldweller’s facebook just to find out he knows us, stating that he’s happy TSU is also around in his fanbase.

I must say though that I often have this feeling that some people just can’t let go. Yes, it started with the Doctor’s ideas and like many of you, I only found out about TSU through Doctor Steel’s work. But at times it feels like a huge obstacle to me. His ideas and initial work surely is what brought us here. But while he retired, and we carried on, people still seem to be clinging to the figure that Doctor Steel was. There’s still effort to find out his true identity, to get him back, to use his persona in any kinds of projects, endless questioning about why he left us and whether he will ever return, even conspiracy theories about the government being involved (it was aliens?). I can’t help but to wonder why he still is so important to so many people. Did we not achieve awesome things on our own? We currently have about 2000 soldiers, and are constantly recruiting new ones. We have many passionate members that set up awesome projects and missions on their own. We have so many amazing helpers. How come people can’t let go of an artificial character that isn’t around anymore? What do we really need him for? Aren’t we enough inspiration on our own? Are we missing a leader?

I’m sorry, your post just kept me thinking. Don’t take it personally, I think this is not the way you meant it.

• The Doctor is part of our history and I completely understand new people finding us through his video’s and material, even though the last transmissions are over 5 years old. But TSU grown out to be so much more. I’m still a fan of Dr. Steel’s work, and still use it for references when talking about the army sometimes. Although it’s become a background issue now. I understand that new people who find us through his work are confused sometimes and that it takes some convincing that we, without a figurehead are managing better than ever.

Epsilon, to get to your message, yes there are so many people out there that know Dr. Steel, it was quite widespread on the net a few years back :) 
      Some colleague of my brother recognised the logo sticker on his car, one of my colleagues recognised the logo patch on my jacket when I started working at my current job.

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

@LED-Master Gonzo said:
      […]
      Some colleague of my brother recognised the logo sticker on his car, one of my colleagues recognised the logo patch on my jacket when I started working at my current job.

Wow, seriously? That is surely amazing. I haven’t met anyone over here yet who’d knew who Doctor Steel was.

On a second thought, it is nice that people remember him though. Maybe this is also a way to catch the people. :P

• @Lt. Sophie said:

@LED-Master Gonzo said:
      […]

Wow, seriously? That is surely amazing. I haven’t met anyone over here yet who’d knew who Doctor Steel was.

On a second thought, it is nice that people remember him though. Maybe this is also a way to catch the people. :P

My colleague had seen the TSU logo before -somewhere- thanks to mutual friends that live in the town I work in :P

• Anonymous

Is anyone of you still following Kato?

Yesterday she posted a photo of her own with round glasses and the hashtag “#myutopianplaylandnow”.

This was the text for her pic: 

I am finally divorced after dedicating ten years of my life to an abusive, manipulative liar who robbed me of any form of a healthy, normal life and forbid me from even making my marital status public. He made me take bullets for him at every turn and manipulated me into giving him everything he wanted. He made me sleep on the couch for years while he moved his multiple girlfriends into our home and forced me to financially support them. He’s taken my house, my car, my savings account and all my assets, plus a settlement of $65,000. He wanted even more than this so I scrounged what courage I had left to not kill myself and instead faught him for a year and have been able to get out alive with the rights to my own business and enough anger and betrayal in my heart to fuel my next project and grow a big set of balls. I’m moving back to California where I left my heart and I’m starting chapter 2. Men and women of abuse: you are SO much stronger than you think you are. Whether you feel trapped right now or are free but still recovering, your future is so bright and so ready for you. You got this.

So, I guess we followed an asshole which abused his own wife? Or maybe she’s just lying? I saw a tumblr blog with photos and screenshots from Katos’ ex-girlfriend, which shows up that she is a big liar, too. So maybe both (Steel and Kato) are manipulative assholes, but yeah.
      I know that the TSU stands for it’s own now, but to know that it all begun with such people is not very cool. 

My husband was cosplaying Dr. Steel on our steampunk fun fair and I liked it to make some propaganda (even I’m not very active here), but in future we’ll stop this.

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

@Little Viktoria said:
      Is anyone of you still following Kato?

Yesterday she posted a photo of her own with round glasses and the hashtag “#myutopianplaylandnow”.

This was the text for her pic: 

I am finally divorced after dedicating ten years of my life to an abusive, manipulative liar who robbed me of any form of a healthy, normal life and forbid me from even making my marital status public. He made me take bullets for him at every turn and manipulated me into giving him everything he wanted. He made me sleep on the couch for years while he moved his multiple girlfriends into our home and forced me to financially support them. He’s taken my house, my car, my savings account and all my assets, plus a settlement of $65,000. He wanted even more than this so I scrounged what courage I had left to not kill myself and instead faught him for a year and have been able to get out alive with the rights to my own business and enough anger and betrayal in my heart to fuel my next project and grow a big set of balls. I’m moving back to California where I left my heart and I’m starting chapter 2. Men and women of abuse: you are SO much stronger than you think you are. Whether you feel trapped right now or are free but still recovering, your future is so bright and so ready for you. You got this.

So, I guess we followed an asshole which abused his own wife? Or maybe she’s just lying? I saw a tumblr blog with photos and screenshots from Katos’ ex-girlfriend, which shows up that she is a big liar, too. So maybe both (Steel and Kato) are manipulative assholes, but yeah.
      I know that the TSU stands for it’s own now, but to know that it all begun with such people is not very cool. 

My husband was cosplaying Dr. Steel on our steampunk fun fair and I liked it to make some propaganda (even I’m not very active here), but in future we’ll stop this.

Kato was kind enough to inform me of this a while back, exactly because of the previous association between TSU and the doc, and I have no reason to doubt her integrity on the matter. Have I heard of situations that painted a poor light on her? Yeah. But that’s no different from any one of us.
      I’m not going defend the man behind Dr. Steel, nor make any comments about him beyond the fact that he was an entertainer, and we were a fan-club. In the end it was about making a living and gaining a following to create a larger presence for himself. However that TSU would grow and stand on its own legs was beyond his vision, and thankfully, it was because Kato created TSU as a separate entity from the Dr. Steel project that we didn’t end up getting dragged down with him.

What I am grateful for is the community that has remained, and continues to grow.

• Kraken
      Participant

I do wonder sometimes just how big an influence Doctor Steel actually was on some of us, mind. I think for a lot of the American soldiers he was very important, because of course he did every single one of his shows/things/whatever in the USA. For a lot of people on my end of the Atlantic, though, I think it’d be safer to say that while Steel was an initial impetus towards getting together as a group, it was the friends we’d made and the fun we had that allowed us to grow into the awesome little pseudofamily we are now. I at least never saw a huge amount of Doctor Steel in that, beyond the basic “have fun” philosophy and maybe the music on occasion. I think we built a lot of what we are now ourselves, but that’s just my take on it and I could very well be wrong.

To add to Dutch’s comment, it’s probably worth remembering this when we think about the guy behind the Doctor Steel persona, and remembering that he – like a lot of people who end up pursuing fame and fortune – was all too susceptible to the dark side of it is probably very important. John Lennon was a wife beater, after all, and yet a lot of people still find something of worth in his music. I guess what I’m trying to say is that we as a group are not Doctor Steel; we made our own successes, and we sure as hell don’t share his sins either. If folks still like his music, that’s fine, just as people like Lennon’s stuff, but it is important to remember that Steel was a man with flaws, and pretty dark ones too.

On a semi-related note, very glad for Kato that she got out from under that. What a horrible position to find yourself in, and good on her that she’s found the strength to fight back and carry on.

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Well said, Kraken.

I’m going to be locking this thread for now, as things are continuing to develop, and I can no longer support having Dr. Steel topics on TSU any longer. Please see this thread in Announcements.

Viewing 8 reply threads

The topic ‘The Doctor still lives on in spirit’ is closed to new replies.