The Annual Gaming Marathon

Home Forums Missions The Annual Gaming Marathon

This topic contains 46 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lt. Sophie 3 years ago.

The Annual Gaming Marathon

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Greetings soldiers!

Good news: Last year’s Minecraft marathon was so exciting and successful, we decided to make it a regular thing. And my humble self will be hosting the 2015 marathon!

There will be a main stream on Twitch, where one, smaller, group of people will be playing Don’t Starve Together. On a second stream, we’ll have a Minecraft marathon, just like last year.

There will be a TSU Twitch channel for the main stream, on which the donations will be shown as well. Using Multitwitch, we can broadcast all streams at the same time using only one link, so viewers can choose which one to watch.

When does this awesome thing happen?

Feb 27th – Mar 1st (Friday to Sunday). Time and any specific data (server etc) will be posted on here in time.

Schedule for the DST Marathon:

Friday: 8pm GMT – 2am GMT

Saturday: 8am GMT – 2am GMT

Sunday: 8am GMT – 3pm GMT

Schedule for the Minecraft Marathon:

Friday 8pm GMT – Sunday 3pm GMT

Yes please, I wanna attend!

Then please leave a comment below and I will add you to the list of attendees. Please be aware that this will take you a whole weekend, Friday evening to Sunday morning, and that if you cannot attend for any reason, let me know in timesmile

What’s in it for me?

Well, besides all the cool fun with the other soldiers and being streamed live on Twitch for anyone to see, every attendee will be given a tiny Thank You package for making this event possible.

Also, anyone who donates will have the chance of getting a small reward as well. The person who donates most (the sum in the end is what counts) will receive a Special Thank You Box, and smaller boxes will be sent to other donators picked at random. 

Where is this gonna take place?

On the mighty internet! We will be streaming live on Twitch.

Is there anything else I can do?

Indeed! If you cannot attend or don’t have any money to donate, there is another thing you can do to help us being successful. We will be broadcasting short commercial spots in between. If you have the ability and possibility to create a short video, we would welcome your participation. Please understand that we need a certain minimum amount of quality for this, and that we will be broadcasting to everyone, including children. Every contribution needs to be reviewed and approved before broadcasting. 

Who will get the money?

I decided that this time, the money should go to Alzheimer’s Society‘s research, because we lose so many to this terrible disease. It is pretty much a death sentence once you get diagnosed with it, you die a little bit every day, and even though we can always bring fun to the young, maybe with this we can keep the fun running a little longer for others…

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I also want to point out that anyone who doesn’t own the game yet might want to take a look at the upcoming Steam Sales. :)

bliss_gif

Attendees:

Lt. Sophie – DST

Silent Addle – DST

Delina – DST

Alice – DST

Mikey – DST

Scouter715 – Minecraft/DST

— — — — — — — — —

techiefIve – Minecraft

Gonzo – Minecraft

Tea-Admiral W. Strom – Minecraft

Airhead – Minecraft

Trigo – Minecraft

Raz – Minecraft

Mr. Mew – Minecraft

theMADone – Minecraft

Mike Mcnanner – Minecraft

Iceroyale – Minecraft

Voltor – Minecraft

Corporal Frost – Minecraft

— — — — — — — — —

This is it. We’re not gonna sign up any more people for the marathon now. Anyone who signed up will receive a message with all the important details. Please make sure you check your inbox!

• Scouter715
    Participant

Yes I will attend!

• Virg
    Participant

Will book the time off now.

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Great. :D 

• Trigo
    Participant

If i’m not overloaded with uni work that weekend i’ll take part.

• Inactive
    Participant

Count me in! hae18

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

Borderlands really isn’t my game but I will support this event in any and every other way that I can :D

• Drahcir
    Participant

Sounds good. If my location allows it I’ll join.

• Mr. Mew
    Participant

Sounds awesome, count me in!

• Missus Tea
    Participant

if my internet lets me, im in. hubby and i have been playing the borderlands games nonstop since the first one came out!

• Captain Dermut
    Participant

Still don’t have the prequel but when you guys switch over to 2 let me know, got that this Christmas.

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

So, there have been interesting news on the topic of Alzheimers. :)

Stanford might have found a way to cure Alzheimers

This might be a very big step. I really hope that no matter how much we can collect, it will help to end and/or prevent this disease for so many people. I already have to thank all of you who volunteered to join the marathon. I am so much looking foward to it!

• @Lt. Sophie said:
    So, there have been interesting news on the topic of Alzheimers. :)

Stanford might have found a way to cure Alzheimers

This might be a very big step. I really hope that no matter how much we can collect, it will help to end and/or prevent this disease for so many people. I already have to thank all of you who volunteered to join the marathon. I am so much looking foward to it!

Great news! With my granddad succumbing to the disease and having seen it in full effect, I can only hope they find a relief medicine or cure for it.

I’ll be around during the event, but probably not gaming myself.

• Prof_Swakhammer
    Participant

I would like to participate in this however my schedule for that weekend is up in the air and may see me in the middle of moving to a larger ad much improved lair!

If I can join in though Im having a hard time deciding between Dont Starve and Minecraft lol.

mrgreen

• If possible, can I sign away my days to Minecraft squire?

?.?

• I’ll be with the minecrafters :)

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@Prof_Swakhammer said:
    I would like to participate in this however my schedule for that weekend is up in the air and may see me in the middle of moving to a larger ad much improved lair!

If I can join in though Im having a hard time deciding between Dont Starve and Minecraft lol.

mrgreen

Well, I am sure you can always join in the Minecraft game for a bit when you find the time. As for DST, the game is limited to six players, so we might be full already by then. :)

• techiefIve
    Participant

Sign me up! I’m already setup to stream (I stream as often as time permits at twitch.tv/techiefive), and I’ve streamed with Scouter715 on both of our streams in the past. I’ve got a plethora of games available with highlights including Minecraft, DayZ, and Shadow of Mordor.

I’m in California and I have class on Friday that keeps me busy from 12 noon until around 5PM, and on Saturday from 7AM – 1PM. Other than those windows of time I’m totally available. Let me know when you’ll need me and what game we’re playing. This is gonna be so much FUN!

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

This ‘Don’t Starve Together’ sounds interesting…Sign me up!

• Engineer Airhead
    Keymaster

Balls to it, sign me up for minecraft!

Should I ask our last host for another run?

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@techiefIve said:
    Sign me up! I’m already setup to stream (I stream as often as time permits at twitch.tv/techiefive), and I’ve streamed with Scouter715 on both of our streams in the past. I’ve got a plethora of games available with highlights including Minecraft, DayZ, and Shadow of Mordor.

I’m in California and I have class on Friday that keeps me busy from 12 noon until around 5PM, and on Saturday from 7AM – 1PM. Other than those windows of time I’m totally available. Let me know when you’ll need me and what game we’re playing. This is gonna be so much FUN!

I’ve already talked to Scouter, and if anyone else wants to stream the game as well, they are welcome to do so.

I’d only ask for your channel information in advance. :)

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@engineer Airhead YJ said:
    Balls to it, sign me up for minecraft!

Should I ask our last host for another run?

You mean for the Minecraft server? Trigo already offered to use his, so it would not be necessary.

• Engineer Airhead
    Keymaster

I will be there for the minecraft parts :)

• Mr. Mew
    Participant

I’ll be in the Minecraft stream!

I currently have a small server running with mods that I can put open for use.
    (Yes I will make a new world if you want to use my server.)
    It should support up to 10 players. (with mods, vanilla MC should run no problemo for 10 players!)

So I give you guys the choice if you want with or without mods, cause it might take a while to learn
    what they all do. :P

It currently runs DW20 1.7.10 1.0.3 for those that are curious to know.

Yours sincerely,

Mr. Mew!

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@Mr. Mew said:
    I’ll be in the Minecraft stream!
    I currently have a small server running with mods that I can put open for use.
    (Yes I will make a new world if you want to use my server.)
    It should support up to 10 players. (with mods, vanilla MC should run no problemo for 10 players!)
    So I give you guys the choice if you want with or without mods, cause it might take a while to learn
    what they all do. :P

It currently runs DW20 1.7.10 1.0.3 for those that are curious to know.

Yours sincerely,
    Mr. Mew!

Hey, thank you. :)

We already have a server for the Minecraft stream, but thank you very much for the offer. :)

• Missus Tea
    Participant

Well I put in for that Friday off so I do have the time free, but I do not now, nor do I plan on getting Minecraft and I’ve never heard of the other game, so looks like I will just be donating money. Guess I get a whole three days of Borderlands to myself LOL

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@Missus Thomas said:
    Well I put in for that Friday off so I do have the time free, but I do not now, nor do I plan on getting Minecraft and I’ve never heard of the other game, so looks like I will just be donating money. Guess I get a whole three days of Borderlands to myself LOL

I’m sorry for that, it was inevitable someone actually wanted to play Borderlands, but I believe we’re better of MC and DST. Of course you are welcome to watch and donate. :)

• theMADone
    Participant

Count me in for Minecraft!! Username is theMADoneTSU

spacecraft

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

Just a quick question in regards to DST: Will all of us be expected to be playing for the entire 48 hours? Or will it be like the idea you had for Borderlands where people switch in and out?

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

I was thinking of setting up a schedule for the DST stream. We will have a few breaks at (European) night. I’ll announce the schedule come Monday. :)

• Anonymous

Sign me up for Minecraft!mrgreen

• Mike Mcnanner
    Participant

If this is gonna be anything like the previous Minecraft marathon, count me in for the Minecraft!!

Though, since this is happening in term time I won’t be in the whole time, I’d probably be dropping in for a couple hours at a time throughout Saturday and Sunday, and maybe Friday evening

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

In the times when I’m not playing DST I’ll likely watch the Minecraft stream, it was hilarious last year.

My fondest memory was that Ender Dragon that could phase through walls…good times

• Considering my rather…

‘Explosive’ nature on ye olde ‘Craft, I apologise in advance for any and all wanton destruction including, but not limited to: destruction of homes, players, farms, etc.

sterb135

• Most likely attending for the minecraft part

• Missus Tea
    Participant

No biggie-I’m still having internet issues so I probably wouldn’t have been able to do much anyway. Just as a test, if anyone wants to add me on XBox Live, my tag is MissusBigus. Next weekend I have a three day weekend so I’ll have time to try to test my connection.

• Crash Test
    Participant

If you want another for don’t starve let me know

• techiefIve
    Participant

I should have thought of this earlier, but there’s still time so I don’t feel too bad about it.

I have a private TeamSpeak server that I can open up to the streamers so we can all talk while we’re playing. I’ve found that having a conversation really helps keep the interest of my viewers so hopefully it will have the same effect during the charity stream. If everyone is on board with this idea I can give out the password to my fellow streamers so that they can use the TeamSpeak server while they play.

One note however: I’m not sure if the audio from TeamSpeak will play through the stream if people aren’t using streaming software like OBS or Xsplit. I know that DST and MC both have built in streaming to twitch, but I haven’t ever played around with it to see if they will grab audio from sources other than the microphone and game. If anyone knows the answer to that, please let us know.

If you’ve never heard of TeamSpeak but are interested in talking with your fellow streamers while playing, you can get the software here: http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads (make sure to grab the appropriate one for your operating system).

You can also find information about setting up and using TeamSpeak here: http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=tutorials

• Corporal Frost
    Participant

Sign me up for minecraft. I will have my daughter saturday for a few hours, so I will be ducking out for a bit

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

This whole being a hermit thing I’ve been doing lately really saves me a lot of money

Just donated a large part of what was left over this month :D

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

@Doth’Rah said:
    This whole being a hermit thing I’ve been doing lately really saves me a lot of money

Just donated a large part of what was left over this month :D

You are a frigging star! And thank you to everyone who’s donated already. We’re a quarter of the way there!

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@techiefIve said:
    I should have thought of this earlier, but there’s still time so I don’t feel too bad about it.

I have a private TeamSpeak server that I can open up to the streamers so we can all talk while we’re playing. 

We already have a TS server. I will message you guys the details tonight. ;)

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@Crash Test said:
    If you want another for don’t starve let me know

Unfortunately, we are limited to six players since we’re not going to have a dedicated server. :(

• Trigo
    Participant
  • Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Right, a small update from my side:

I honestly and truely apologise this took so very long. But the packages for the donators and gamers will be prepared this weekend, finally. After waiting extraordinarily long for some of the supplies for it, and my move which took a lot more time and effort (and nerves) than anticipated, I will get your things ready now.

Depending on where you live it will take a while though. I will get in touch with everyone I need in order to get addresses.

Thank you guys so much for your patience, but this year was a bit of a rollercoaster ride. Next year, I promise to deliver earlier. wink

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

As promised, I am preparing the packages to be sent out to the gamers and the donators.

Athrun Nailo as biggest donator gets a special! I selected nine other donators at random. Please, everybody who sees his name on this list, send me an email or PM with your address.

Renee Maunder
    Dying Muppet
    Marauder Tris
    Trigo Star
    Christopher Snyder
    Engineer Airhead
    Sari Alwinn
    Isaac Hardesty
    Danov Valravn

LED Master Gonzo
    Brigadier Iron Davis
    Rydius, B34R
    Captain Cog
    Darth Raziel
    IceRoyale
    Sergeant Voltor
    Dothrah
    Elve
    Delina
    Scouter715
    Sokamin
    TechieFive
    8Ben
    SmupahLilPudding
    Th3Jane
    MetalKitten

Thanks folks. :)

Thank You Package

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Hello folks,

it’s me again. Unfortunately, I still have not received all of your addresses.

If you feel uncomfortable about handing out your physical address to me, I completely understand. You can leave me your email contact details as well. Although, for the winning donators, that would be a shame as your TY package is already prepared and waiting to be shipped. But maybe you know a better place to send it to.

I need addresses or email info from:

Marauder Tris
    Christopher Snyder
    Sari Alwinn
    Isaac Hardesty

Brigadier Iron Davis
    B34R
    Captain Cog
    IceRoyale
    Sergeant Voltor
    Elve
    TechieFive
    8Ben
    SmupahLilPudding
    Th3Jane
    MetalKitten

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.