The Annual Gaming Marathon: We want YOU!

Home Forums General Discussions The Annual Gaming Marathon: We want YOU!

This topic contains 57 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Silent Addle 3 years ago.

The Annual Gaming Marathon: We want YOU!

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Hello folks,

After successfully voting for next year’s charity, we are now on the lookout for vic… I mean, volunteers to join the gaming.

The Marathon will take place on April 1 – 3.

We discussed and decided on the following set up:

Main Channel – Minecraft

The TSU Twitch channel will again be streaming Minecraft nonstop, hosted by various soldiers. Who that will be, we will decide soon. Anybody who enjoys this game and likes to join, please enter your name in here. Also mention if you want to stream, too.

Streamers: Engineer Airhead, TS Gonzo, Sgt. Voltor, Scouter715, techiefIve, Athrun Nailo, Dr. Malice,  Dracp18s, The Joetee, The Beard, Jokum Foibles, Iron.

Schedule:

Friday 4pm GMT+1 – Sunday 3pm GMT+1

Lt. Sophie – RPG/Adventure

My channel will be Adventure/RPG themed. Like the DST channel last year, there will be a schedule for streaming, as I cannot stay awake all weekend (please forgive me!).

Schedule:

Friday 4pm GMT+1 – Open End

Saturday 9am GMT+1 – Open End

Sunday 9am GMT+1 – 3pm GMT+1

SilentAddle – Space/Sci-Fi

SilentAddle volunteered for a space themed channel. This stream will also be scheduled. It is not necessarily restricted to one player. If you are interested to join, please PM SilentAddle.

Danov Valravn – Turn Based Chaos

Diamonds like Heroes of Might and Magic III, IV and V, Bloodbowl:Chaos Edition and other. Scheduled stream, because Danov has prototypes to be taken care of, but fun nonetheless.

Eyilwrass – Shadowrun

Well, as the title suggests: Shadowrun games all weekend. Scheduled as well, tba.

Digiquo- Various Titles

A variety of titles will be streamed here, such as Team Fortress 2, The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, Dota 2 or various indie games. Schedule tba.

Your Channel?

If you have your own Twitch channel and a love for a specific genre or console, maybe you want to join us as a streamer. Do you have an idea and the ambition to stream for the weekend to support us? Please PM me!

As a special event, we will have one evening of Boardgames streaming live on Twitch as well. Games and fun are in our opinion not only limited to computers. So, on Saturday evening, we will spare 2-3 hours for a special broadcast of boardgaming.

You don’t need your own channel to join and support the Marathon.

For example, the Minecraft channel lives from the number of players that help to build and create. The more the merrier. You might even just pop in to one of our Teamspeak/Mumble server channels to chat with the gamers while watching the stream.

Please, leave your information in here if you want to play a game and/or stream on your own channel.

For any questions, feel free to PM me or talk to me in chat.

Please note:

Leave your personal info in the table linked above. by the end of February. Make sure there are no more question marks left. In order to send you all the necessary information and material, I need your contact info and stream schedule.
    If you do not want your details viewed by others, send me a quick email with the information needed.

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

First!

Also, excellent work indeed! I’m getting rather excited about the Marathon now.

• Scouter715
    Participant
  • The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

I’m definitely on this again!

Hopefully by then I’ll be able to stream as well. If so I’d likely stream some Star Wars: The Old Republic or another RPG of some kind. If not then I’ll join in on one of the multiplayer games that are running

• Anonymous

I want to join the Minecraft server this year! bliss_gif

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Right, to make it easier for us to keep track on who’s playing what game and if they’re streaming or not etc. etc., we decided to create a table on Google Docs for this.

Please enter your information as requested, if you have any questions feel free to ask. smile

• Athrun Nailo
    Participant

Awesome, looks like I will need to reinstall Minecraft

• I’m definitely interested in playing with you guys, and I think my wife is as well. I know I’m probably going to play Minecraft, however when Joc joins in the fun, I’m not sure what she’s gonna want to play yet. Unless I can convince her to play a video game with me, then we’ll probably end up on the board game side of things.

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

Question: Is that date definite?

As I’ve just noticed that it’s the same weekend as Dutch Comic-Con, which (last time I checked) myself and the Watterraten will be attending. I believe this year it was the weekend afterwards, though I don’t know if that’s due to a change of date on our end or theirs

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

True. Good thing I haven’t sent out ALL promotional emails yet.

Edit: After a short discussion in chat we agreed on postponing the event for a week then. I hope this is enough for all of you to relax from the Anniversary and DCC, and get fit for some nonstop gaming. laugh

Thanks a lot Mikey for letting me know!

• So the date above, is this the correct date now? April 1-3?

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Yes, I edited the post to show the correct date. It is April 1-3 :)

• So we start on April Fools? How apt…

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@Spymaster General Danov Valravn said:
    So we start on April Fools? How apt…

I know, right? laugh

• @The DoctorDoth’Rah said:
    Question: Is that date definite?

As I’ve just noticed that it’s the same weekend as Dutch Comic-Con, which (last time I checked) myself and the Watterraten will be attending. I believe this year it was the weekend afterwards, though I don’t know if that’s due to a change of date on our end or theirs

Glad you noticed that, Doth’Rah! I have not been paying attention to spot this earlier. 

Well, we start on April’s fools now…

Let minecraft pranks commence!!! (and probably other pranks and fun loving jokes)

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

And here is when I realise that the new date is the same weekend as Babymetal in London :/

I’ll be taking part in some form or another, hopefully streaming SWTOR (pending a decent internet connection, I’ll have to let you know closer to the time about that) but I would be AFK for about 6-8 hours on the Saturday evening, picking back up when I get home and running through till Sunday evening

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Ah well, we still have enough time (now even one additional week!). I will send you a reminder in time. laugh

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

UPDATE: Just sorted out new internet here at my mum’s house. In 2 weeks I should know my streaming capability. So even if I manage to move out before then, mum says I can do the marathon from here if internet there isn’t as good

• Silent Addle
    Participant

That is awesome news there.

Every person streaming makes the event bigger and better!

• How does one go about getting the Twitch thingy to work…..I’ve already set up an account, but it seems I need something else to stream.

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

I know that your processor speed and internet speed have something to do with it.

I currently have a PC capable of streaming but my internet currently sucks. I’m pretty sure there’s a how to guide on the Twitch site which should give you some minimum specs and some tips, etc

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

From experience, if you’ve got a graphics card, it takes the strain off, but if not you’ll want at the very least 6GB of RAM to accommodate both the game and the streaming.

Avoid having intensive programs on in the background like skype or chrome. IRC clients are fine since they use virtually nothing to begin with.

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Right guys, we were kinda expecting questions like this, so we will set up a bit of a tutorial for people who want to get into streaming. smile

Also, I will have you know that we have our first sponsor! MPServ will be sponsoring the Teamspeak and Minecraft Server for the weekend! Thanks a lot to Airhead for making that deal for us. laugh

• Silent Addle
    Participant

Tutorial is posted.

It covers the basics of what you need to know to get streaming and includes a link to more detailed tutorials on optimisation and making your stream look pretty.

Go check it out here: http://www.toysoldiersunite.com/forums/general-discussions/gaming-marathon-setting-up-for-streaming/

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

In case any of you wants to advertise this event on their Twitch, Youtube, Facebook, or whatever you use and prefer, I posted some propaganda right therecool

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

UPDATE!

I just did a stream test on Twitch and it worked!

bliss_gif

Just gotta do a bit of tweaking to get the resolution right, etc and I’ll be good to go for next year

My channel is http://www.twitch.tv/dothrah

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Awesome. :) Gonna subscribe to your channel then.

If you haven’t done yet, please enter your channel name and the game you’ll be playing/streaming into the table on Google Docs. Thank you. :3

• Silent Addle
    Participant

Additionally, if streamers who are looking to take part in the Marathon are planning to stream according to any form of schedule, can they let me know on Skype or FB chat.

I’m planning to tweet when our streamers are playing, in an effort to get a little promotion as we’re building up to the Marathon.

So if you’re planning to stream regularly, let me know and I’ll compile the data in a spreadsheet, otherwise just message me in advance and I will send out the signal.

Of course don’t think you have to try and stream regularly or anything, I’m only saying that if you intend to.

I’d like to see each of us get a few more followers in our own rights, and make the 2016 Marathon bigger and better, all we need is a little effort and organisation.

So give me details!

• Silent Addle
    Participant

Good morning soldiers!
    I’ve called this meeting today to talk to you about the 2016 Gaming Marathon, what we’ve affectionately started calling the Gaming Mammoth.
    So far we’ve a core group of people organising the event, but it really isn’t just an event about us, this is a Toy Soldier Event and we want YOU involved.
    You, the makers, the tinkerers and creators, we want you to contribute to the Gaming Mammoth.

We make no secret that we plan to spread the Gaming Mammoth further beyond what we ever have.
    In the past two years we have shared our Gaming Marathon with friends, family and Toy Soldiers but come 2016 we’re going to be pushing to the biggest audience yet.
    As such, we want to make it as attractive to donate to our future friends as possible, so far we’ve been searching out corporate sponsorship and that’s great, we’ve received hundreds of pounds worth of donations for things we can wrap up as gifts to donators.

But that isn’t enough for me, we have an amazing group of talented people in this group and what we need is donations from you.
    Not money, that’ll come in April when we stream, what we need from you is simple small things that you can make, that we can give away.
    I don’t want to reign in your creativity, but anything that is too large or bulky we won’t be able to accept as it would cost us too much to ship but of course if you have anything that is amazing we are open to working something out.

As a group, we have individually made wristbands, hats, bags and even little plush friends so we are capable of making so much more, the only thing you need to ask yourself is what do you want to contribute?

What we want are things that will appeal to gamers and geeks, your contribution doesn’t need to be TSU themed (but if you want to sneak in a little propaganda, we won’t stop you).
    They need to be things that we could give away to anyone, we can’t have any home made adult recreational items as we don’t know who will get each donation.
    And of course they need to be your best possible work, this is how we’re showing he world what we as a group can do, we need to make the best of it.

We can not take store-bought items (exceptions might be made for rare or collectors items), so if you have found someone on etsy or some such, you either need to convince the original designer to donate -or- if you have permission from them to donate the item you’ve bought (we will ask for proof of this).

Donators don’t have to be TSU, as long as they’re willing to donate to a good they won’t be turned away without reason, so even if you can’t make something if you know someone who can then share this with them.

If you can stick to these simple rules, anything you can make is eligeable but of course, if you need more details, need to ask any questions or want to confirm your plan to contribute, you can get a hold of me directly here, thought the TSU site or via the Mammoth email here: [email protected]
    Join us in the Craftpocalypse, for the 2016 Mammoth!

We can’t wait to hear from you.

• LoneBlackfang
    Participant

I would love to help out and stream WoW. My twitch is http://www.twitch.tv/lonesilverfang

Will be playing Horde

• Silent Addle
    Participant

Hey LoneBlackfang, thank you for wanting to be a part of the Mammoth, if you head over to the very first post in this thread you will see a link entitled “leave your information in here”, if you could just pop the relevant info down in that spreadsheet so we can keep track of everything, it would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

-Silent

• LoneBlackfang
    Participant

hey if any of the streamers would like a steam overlay I have come up with one you can see what it looks like here. also I can customize it if you like just PM me here with what you would like

Thanks

Lone Blackfang

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Ooh, that looks nice, good work. :)

Maybe you should post it to the FB group (if you’re on there) as well.

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

@loneblackfang said:
    hey if any of the streamers would like a steam overlay I have come up with one you can see what it looks like here. also I can customize it if you like just PM me here with what you would like

Thanks

Lone Blackfang

That is very cool! Nice work!

• I for one may look into adopting this overlay. Anything that makes turn based gaming look good, is good for me!

• The DoctorDoth'Rah
    Participant

@loneblackfang said:

Thanks

Lone Blackfang

I love it!

• Brigadier Davis
    Participant

I cannot stream, alas my machine is not capable of such feats, however, I will attempt to endure the full 24 hours on minecarft :p

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

That is great Iron, although I have to tell you, from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon, that’s more than 24h. xD

• Silent Addle
    Participant

Yeah, we’re going to be streaming roughly 48 hours solid.

Though if we ever do a non-Mammoth charity stream in the future, we should think about doing something a little… different.

*plots evilly* … *for charity*

• Hiram234
    Participant

I also am willing to join the Minecraft server this year! sterb135

Casesam samsung j5 screen prtectors
    Cheap high-quality case casesam

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Anybody who has volunteered but not yet enlisted, please enter your name here. Also, by the end of February I would like all of the question marks gone. :-)

Thank you!

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster
    Hello folks!

I have updated the information on the Gaming Marathon in the first post. Please have a look at it.

What’s new?

The table containing your gamer/streamer information has been updated. Please fill in the missing details by the end of the month. If you are unsure about something, don’t hesitate to email, PM or talk to me in chat. 

Anything else?

I will create Twitch overlays and channel images that contain all important information (donation, supporters, sponsors…). If you are a streamer, I will send you these images before the Marathon so you can put them on your channel and use them during streaming. We owe our supporters for their generous help, so please give me your details in time.

Please note:

Leave your personal info in the table linked above. by the end of February. Make sure there are no more question marks left. In order to send you all the necessary information and material, I need your contact info and stream schedule.
    If you do not want your details viewed by others, send me a quick email with the information needed.

• Crash Test
    Participant

can wait finally have a rig to stream and join you guys just filled out the form is there any special panels i need to add to my channel for the event ?

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

Right, I just created a Dropbox folder with any necessary material for you to create a Twitch overlay and channel information.

It would be nice if at least you used the logo. But we have a few very generous supporters who went all the way to help us reach our goal. So please, if you can, include them into your stream as well. You can either put their logos into your Bio (below the stream), or somehow integrate them into your overlay.

I also made several banners you can use on your channel.

Server information (Teamspeak & Minecraft) as well as donation buttons and/or info will be sent out via email to you. So PLEASE make sure I have your email address. Some of you still haven’t sent me their info.

Here’s the dropbox link.

• Lt. Sophie
    Keymaster

@Crash Test said:
    can wait finally have a rig to stream and join you guys just filled out the form is there any special panels i need to add to my channel for the event ?

Thank you for joining us! :D

As mentioned above it would be great if you could add the Gaming Marathon logo and the sponsors/supporters to your site. If you want to, you can also add an info box about Enabling The Future, which might be interesting for anyone who is willing to donate to the cause. 

Please, just have a look at the material and pick out what you need. :)

• Crash Test
    Participant

Greetings comrades i need your help i need your help. for the gaming marathon i will be attempting to complete 3 games for the marathon and i want you all to select the order i do this. i have created a straw poll to help with this selection, the poll will end at 11:59 pm EST (GMT-4)on march 31’st due to the stream starting at midnight on april 1st. http://strawpoll.me/7201245

• The Corporal
    Participant

A promotional interview Bonsart Bokel did with Lt. Sophie and Gonzo at Radio Retrofuture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCn2cLd6iMY

• O_O It’s my face on there too. Fun interview!

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

Just so everyone knows, there’s been a little bit of confusion in regards to the charity we’re donating to, so I’m here to clear things up.
    Previously we may have linked this site: http://enablingthefuture.org/ and their associated twitter and facebook accounts. Apparently these were made BEFORE the Enable Community Foundation was formed (and have continued on regardless) and aren’t part of the charity itself, however there are part of the community of 3D printers that make prosthetic hands for kids.

So when you’re out there linking stuff, please use the following details

Enable Community Foundation – http://enablingthefuture.org/

Enable Community Foundation (Facebook) – https://www.facebook.com/ECF2015

Enable Community Foundation (Twitter) – https://twitter.com/enablehands_ecf

• Crash Test
    Participant

@Sgt. Dutch said:
    Just so everyone knows, there’s been a little bit of confusion in regards to the charity we’re donating to, so I’m here to clear things up.
    Previously we may have linked this site: http://enablingthefuture.org/ and their associated twitter and facebook accounts. Apparently these were made BEFORE the Enable Community Foundation was formed (and have continued on regardless) and aren’t part of the charity itself, however there are part of the community of 3D printers that make prosthetic hands for kids.

So when you’re out there linking stuff, please use the following details

Enable Community Foundation – http://enablingthefuture.org/

Enable Community Foundation (Facebook) – https://www.facebook.com/ECF2015

Enable Community Foundation (Twitter) – https://twitter.com/enablehands_ecf

just want to confirm this is where people should donate during the stream http://www.enablecommunityfoundation.org/donate/  . want to make sure before i go live in little over 3 hours from now

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

It is A way to donate, however there’ll be a big old donate button on http://charity.toysoldiersunite.com once the marathon starts. Direct people there, as we can keep track of donations that way and we’ll know when we hit our target of $2000.

• I have Donated!

I also have spruced up a load of my gameplay footage and more to form a simple playlist for when I am dealing with the kids. Allowing me to switch between live and not live feeds, or just hand over hosting to another channel. In other words, I got organised this year!

• Any idea when we’ll be receiving the info for the server and the teamspeak?

• Sgt. Dutch
    Participant

@Dr. Malice said:
    Any idea when we’ll be receiving the info for the server and the teamspeak?

Details have been up on http://charity.toysoldiersunite.com for a day or two already. I’ve gone ahead and given Lt. Sophie several email addresses since more than a few of you seem to have forgotten to provide them in the google document in the first post.

• jamiejibba115
    Participant

is it too late to join the marathon stream thing in some way or form?…. yeah i am really late to the party

• I would like to say that you now have all my videogame and mead money until November…. well worth it though. Just don’t tell the wife!

• Capt. Span
    Participant

Hi TSU comrads, sorry saw the Game to late, so I just donated some Money, hope my Little offering helps as well to create a better world smile

Leo

• Silent Addle
    Participant

@Leo said:
    Hi TSU comrads, sorry saw the Game to late, so I just donated some Money, hope my Little offering helps as well to create a better world smile
    Leo

Hello Leo!

The majority of the Marathon is over, but it is never truly over as long as we each strive to make a better place for another.

Thank you for donating, I wish you a great day.

-Silent

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.