Play-By Discord RPG Idea

Home Forums Special Operations Divisions GAME Play-By Discord RPG Idea

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Geoff Nicholson 3 years ago.

Play-By Discord RPG Idea

• Geoff Nicholson
    Participant

So the other night, I was discussing in the Discord chatroom about possibly running an RPG over the voice chat using the dice-rolling bot to do the randomizing. I have been considering running a dungeoneering open-campaign and this discord thing might work out for everyone.

Of course, due to timezones this might be limited to US West Coasters (or those who Europeans who can make a late-night weekday). However, I have this idea:

This is to be done with what’s described as an ‘open table’, where it doesn’t matter who shows up, we can still do some exploration and dungeon-crawling without the expectation that a big bad will destroy the world.

Yes, some plots will be foiled, some plots will succeed, but in general, the ‘status quo’ will stabilize around the actions of the PCs without grand world-destabilizing occurrences happening if someone biffs a skill-check, or doesn’t show up for the next game.

To go with this, the players won’t have just one character, they’d have a stable, and play in ad-hoc teams of whomever had shown up that week, with the hope that every expedition will last only a couple game-nights, but we don’t have to worry about cardboard-cutouts or bad rolls by stand-ins (think of it like playing multiple builds in Blizzard games).

The premise would be something along an Adventurer’s Guild operating out of a home-base and exploring the rumors and wilderness at the periphery… or a gang of miscreants holding down their block in the urban sprawl… or a combination of the two, depending on the temperaments of the characters.[sp_show_poll id=”37″]

• Jonmungandr
    Participant

I typically go fantasy, but if everyone wants urban, urban can be fun.

I’m in

• Moose
    Participant

Oh man, I am SO down for this (even though I’m an East Coaster). All of this.

• Geoff Nicholson
    Participant

@jonmungandr said:
    I typically go fantasy, but if everyone wants urban, urban can be fun.

And in this instance, ‘urban’ can just be ‘citycrawl’ rather than ‘dungeoncrawl’; I’m amenable to population density driving the probability of intrigues which can involve the players.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.