Operation Jazz Hands UK

Home Forums Missions Operation Jazz Hands UK

Operation Jazz Hands UK

• Mission: Create a group of performers and a series of performances we can bring to the MCM Comic Con Fringe and other events.

Background:

The UK Toy Soldiers attend the MCM Comic Con events here with fair regularity and in decent numbers.

MCM Comic Con London (and possibly the others in due course) have a programme of events called the MCM Comic Con Fringe, which allow groups to book space to perform, spread propaganda etc for free on the assumption that they have a stand in one of the main halls or at least permission from MCM themselves if they want to promote a company or sell merch (which we are and do. Get over it!)

The Toy Soldiers are made up of enthusiastic creative people who enjoy doing things like running around in outlandish costume, having NERF battles and bursting into song.

Primary Objectives:

Form a core team of performer soldiers willing to perform skits or acts in character at the MCM Fringe to draw attention to the cause.

Get a few support teamsters to hand out propaganda ect during these performances.

Book ourselves a slot at the MCM Fringe and perform. Repeat for future events.

Film all of this madness as part of the ongoing video propaganda program. Show people we have fun!

Have FUN!

Secondary Objectives:

Create a TSUK theme song (possibly a simple vocal arrangement) to perform.

Create a stable group of performers with a view to doing training camps in performing skills and propaganda delivery further down the line to increase our numbers.

Get a Toy Soldier dance routine going to one of the good Doc’s old songs. Make it mindless and hypnotic so others could join in as part of the brainwashing agenda.

Have even more fun!

At this point I would very much like expressions of interest as well as input from people willing to write/perform skits, improv comedy (see Whose Line is it Anyway and mix it with Soviet Propaganda in your mind), singing, performance skills or just being there to hand out propaganda and assist.

The next big MCM Comic Con for us is October, so time is of the essence!

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Former stage actor myself, though haven’t done anything in the past decade save for the youtube videos. Out of practice with improv.

Booming voice as and when required. Can do a mean kazoo without a kazoo.

For more info on my Toy Soldier self, see my profile which I’ve updated to reflect the Toy Soldier mythos.

Writing for stage and skits, not to brilliant. However I have got the entire of TSU in my head so if you require facts, figures, and overblown exaggerations, that’s me.

One thing I do love doing is telling stories.

• One thing I do love doing is telling stories.

Well Dutch, that’s also on my list of skills, so speeches and storytelling it is. Do you think you could do a brief “History of the Toy Soldiers” if I got us a slot in that large and booming voice of yours?

I for one will be going for a more direct approach, doing some propaganda speech more about drawing attention and showing the big ideals of the Toy Soldiers, before letting others add more detail.

I also have to avoid the urge to encourage you to do the story in the style of “the tell” sequence from Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome with random yelled things, actions and the like… No matter how amazing I think that could be. :P

• TS 3Dsniper
      Participant

Fire artist myself, staff and paraffin are no strangers to me also I can do some fire eating which I’d prefer to do inside due to wind issues, and fire breathing which I could do in an excel centre hall given the high ceiling.

• @TS 3Dsniper said:
      Fire artist myself, staff and paraffin are no strangers to me also I can do some fire eating which I’d prefer to do inside due to wind issues, and fire breathing which I could do in an excel centre hall given the high ceiling.

As awful a question as it may be, are you insured?

Having worked the Beltane Fire Festival, I am more than happy to stand point with the fire blanket/sand bucket/extinguishers as needed since I have some experience there. Might also be worth me digging the fire claws out from storage at some point….

Would love to see some Toy Soldier fire performance though. Do you tend to work to music, or just spin as is?

• Just got our official go ahead from MCM!

Commence pelvic thrusting!

• Mike Mcnanner
      Participant

I’d be perfectly willing to do some (over)acting if need be. I like to think I have a voice for storytelling or hammy speechmaking.

• Alas, Operation Jazz Hands was set up for London MCM Comic Con last year. If however, there is appetite to get more of a performing arts/musical theatre troupe going, I for one will be FIRST IN LINE!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.