Mission Report: Evergreen Aviation

Home Forums Special Operations Divisions TSOSD Mission Report: Evergreen Aviation

• This topic is empty.

Mission Report: Evergreen Aviation

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Air and Space Museums around the world have been chronicling the ascent of the human exploration above the ground, and it was a rare experience to travel to the Evergreen Aviation Museum in McMinville, Oregon USA. Because this museum is not just any rural museum founded by a local-son… it’s one which scored one of the rarest airplanes in the world: The Hughes H4. This plane is so big I wasn’t able to take a picture of it with sufficient scale to recognise it. All of the other airplanes in the main building of the museum are sitting beneath it’s wings, and it’s tail reaches to the ceiling.

spacecraft

They built a sister building next door, and had bid on getting a Space Shuttle orbiter (but lost out). Instead, they installed a Titan II launch silo (famously used for Gemini launches). It has one of the original Mercury capsules (not one of the flown ones), a replica of the Gemini capsule hanging from the ceiling, an SR-71, and a handful of Russian bits and bobs (Engines, flight-suits, etc). The Gemini-Agena docking simulator was fun, but was missing a couple of buttons, so I crashed it a lot.

It was a fun afternoon, even if the Curiosity Rover model was broken and out being repaired, and if they didn’t have an actual space-shuttle; there is a very large collection of planes, space things, and an afternoon well-spent. Photos forthcoming.

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

That sounds amazingly fun! I am looking forward to pictures of your adventure. :)

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Oh, right. I ought to post the pictures ;) Gotta upload them first.

• That sounds like loads of fun, wish I was with :p

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.