MCM London Expo May 2014 – Operation: Back to Bas...

Home Forums Missions MCM London Expo May 2014 – Operation: Back to Basics

• This topic is empty.

MCM London Expo May 2014 – Operation: Back to Basics

• Greetings Geeks, Nerds and fellow lunatics

The MCM London Expo is coming back for 23rd-25th May 2014

For those of you that don’t know MCM is a convention for all media types like anime/manga, games, film/television and comics. It’s a great place to meet up and geek out with people over your favourite obsessions and fandoms.

You can buy tickets at the link below or you can buy them on the day, bear in mind the queues will be lengthy if you do. Well…. They’ll be long either way but if you buy in advance it’s less waiting time.

http://www.mcmcomiccon.com/london/

This year we unfortunately don’t have a table as they were gone pretty much by the Sunday of the last expo. This means we will be doing this old school; without a base of operations and just wondering around with propaganda.

It also means that if you have bags and stuff to dump then you’ll have to use the cloakroom which is £1 per item (not that we should be leaving stuff behind the tables anyway).

Regarding hostel arrangements we will be going back to St Christopher’s Village as it has pancakes and steak and generally is quite awesome.

http://www.st-christophers.co.uk/london-hostels/london-bridge

Our dear Brigadier ‘Iron’ Davis will be in charge of Hostel bookings. He will be making a list of people who are going to stay there and then book it.

Prices are looking to be about £25 a night.

THE DEADLINE TO LET US KNOW IS THE 25th OF MARCH

If you wish to stay at the same hostel with us but are too late to tell us you can always go to the website yourselves and book. You won’t be in the same room with us this way but at least you won’t be on your own.

Another thing if you don’t want the bed after the 25th or if your name is on the list and you cannot make it for whatever reason you will be charged!

This is one of our biggest invasions in the UK and our most frequent.

Hope to see you there.

The following list are people who are staying that the hostel:

• Iron
      • Grimm
      • Chrysalice
      • Gonzo
      • Delina 
      • Airhead
      • Dutch
      • Mikey
      • Straitsilver
      • Rev. Geoff 
      • Bear
      • Hamster

This is so we can keep tabs. 

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

yup, pretty much what she said…

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Don’t ask me! I am merely a humble bystander this time!

• I’m definitely up for this

I’ve never stayed with a group of people for MCM before, I usually just travel up from Milton Keynes each day or crash at my Old Man’s in Brixton for the weekend

• Engineer Airhead
      Keymaster

COUNT ME IN!!!

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

@Mikey said:
      I’m definitely up for this

I’ve never stayed with a group of people for MCM before, I usually just travel up from Milton Keynes each day or crash at my Old Man’s in Brixton for the weekend

You will  genuinly never experience anything like it ever! Trust me on that.

• Engineer Airhead
      Keymaster

COUNT US BOTH IN!!!

WHY AM I YELLING LIKE THIS???

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

@Engineer Airhead said:
      COUNT US BOTH IN!!!

WHY AM I YELLING LIKE THIS???

ooooh…..dud someone forget to count someone in?

• Oh yes! Count me in!

• Just so we’re clear. Are we simply counting you in for the expo or are we counting you in for the expo and the hostel? 

• Engineer Airhead
      Keymaster

You can count Delina and me in for Both the hostel AND the Expo.

I take it that we’re responsible for getting our own expo tickets.
      But should we ship the money for the hostel over to Iron when the list is complete?

• Hostel for me too.

• The following list are people who are staying that the hostel:

• Iron
      • Grimm
      • Chrysalice
      • Gonzo
      • Delina 
      • Airhead
      • Dutch
      • Mikey

This is so we can keep tabs. 

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

Yes of course me. I can’t let you guys go anywhere without SOME sort of supervision.

• Hostel for me too

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Alice, keep a running hostel total on the first post, this helps people to keep track!

• Jack YJ
      Participant

I will be there!

• Mike Mcnanner
      Participant

Not joining the hostel group, but I’m definitely down for this! It’ll be a good opportunity for me to premiere my new uniform, for one of the days anyway.

I got a non-TSU cosplay in the works for May as well, but I’ll definitely report for duty one of the days. Who knows, maybe I’ll adjust my non-TSU cosplay to join in propagandising that day as well.

• jog
      Participant

Well I won’t be requiring hostelspot, but 
      you already know I’m there for the expo! 
      hopefully I’ll get to hang out with you all a bit more this time, I miss you all D:

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Maybe? Maybe?

• I feel I have been absent too long…put my name on that list iron, I’m going too MCM!

• Engineer Airhead
      Keymaster

Flight has been booked… I’m hooked :D

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

@Rev. Geoff Nicholson said:
      Maybe? Maybe?

Your vaugeries are no use to us Rev!

We demand Facts!

Also, what happens if Code Monkey airhead comes into contact with Code Monkey Silent Al?

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

I will confirm my suspicions. Sign me up.

When is the first day you all will be at the Hostel? I’ve got plans, you see.

• Engineer Airhead
      Keymaster

@Brigadier Davis said:
      Also, what happens if Code Monkey airhead comes into contact with Code Monkey Silent Al?

The fusion would result into giant mutated code babies that would need extra nursing from Lt. Sophie and Delina xD

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Traditionally Geoff we stay at the Hostel Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night.

• IMPORTANT MESSAGE: If you don’t want the bed after the 25th or if your name is on the list and you cannot make it for whatever reason you will be charged! You must let us know BEFORE 25th if you can or cannot make it!

• @Brigadier Davis said:

Traditionally Geoff we stay at the Hostel Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday night.

Me, Airhead and Delina arrive thursday evening..

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

@LED-Master Gonzo said:

@Brigadier Davis said:

Me, Airhead and Delina arrive thursday evening..

Same here.

• Sir-Hamster
      Participant

Hamster will be going to EXPO :D Will need hostel for Friday, Saturday and Sunday night if possible? :)

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Ok My wonderful soldiers, as the deadline day for you comes ever closer I will tell you this. Finnal hostel price is entirely dependent how many people, what room we are given and when we book, through from experience this has never been over £25 a night.  For that select few, i.e Geoff and our Dutch contingent, I will attempt to see If I can book the thursday night for you, but I may not be able to, so you may need to book that yourself, I will let you know asap. 

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

I have already booked my non-expo nights, so you don’t have to do that for me. I’ll probably have to change rooms for that, but I’m ok with that.

• Evelfa
      Participant

Will be there, naturally. 

Kipling, Kraken and Jazz will be there also, no need of hostel space though

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

I have already booked my non-expo nights, so you don’t have to do that for me. I’ll probably have to change rooms for that, but I’m ok with that.

Ok Geoff, have you booked the right hostel though, as there are two St. Christophers Hostels in London Bridge.

Also Gonzo, are you and your crew of Dutch adventurers sorted or do you still need me to book it for you?

• We haven’t booked night for Thursday yet, so if you could do that for us that would be appreciated.

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

@Brigadier Davis said:

Ok Geoff, have you booked the right hostel though, as there are two St. Christophers Hostels in London Bridge.

I used the link for the hostel included at the beginning of the thread?

• Engineer Airhead
      Keymaster

Geoff, did you go for a private room or for one of the dorms?
      Sinec we will be a day early as well, might as well spend the night together and prep some schemes twisted

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Scheming shall commence… late into the evening!

• So what kind of shenanigans can I expect at an MCM with the Toy Soldiers?

• Bring your nerf guns. That is all :P 

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

As I mentioned on Facebook, I’m unable to attend the MCM Expo this May. This is due to a variety of reasons I don’t really fancy going into, but it’s nothing terrible. Just a conspiracy of situations.

As such, my bed at the hostel is up for grabs, whomever PM’s me and makes the best offer for it can have it.

Sorry to let you down guys, but I expect a metric buttload of videos, pictures and a myriad of funny stories from you lot afterwards.

• This makes me sad, but at least you won’t steal sips from my Leffe bottles… :(

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Well, poo.

• So who will take up your place as holder of the cattle prod?

• Reminder Kids and Cadets: You’d be best off booking your  tickets for MCM Expo online so you don’t have to deal with the looooong lines at Expo…. I mean there will still be a line but there won’t be as long a line if you book in advance. 

http://www.mcmexpostore.com/  << For your convenience. 

• Capitaine Moustache
      Participant

Hello soldiers,

It’s been a long time my communication didn’t reached you, but I’ll try to be a bit more active / alive in the future :)

I’d really like to go to the MCM, but I can’t make it for May (short on money among other reasons).

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

@Capitaine Moustache said:
       (short on money among other reasons).

Oh the would be battle cry of many many Toy Soldiers.

Dont let a lack of cash dampen your spirits though, still have fun!

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Making plans, checking them twice. Gonna find out who’s forgotten a place to crash!

• What time is everybody planning to arrive on Friday?

Also how do I get to the hostel?

• Also, apparently massive closures of the Underground this weekend :(
      I swear they always choose Expo weekend >:@

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tube-strike-may-2014-unite-workers-in-fresh-strike-threat-for-bank-holiday-weekend-9397685.html

• Hmm massive closures in the tube would be a pain :(

Us three Dutchies will be arriving Thursday evening, so at whatever time you arrive, there will be Soldiers at the Hostel. The hostel is located near London Bridge. Check the link in the first post for directions.

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

One of the Americans will also be there on Thursday night, so there will be plenty of trouble to be had. I mean fun.

• Propaganda printed, folding manifesto’s at the moment. MCM; BRING IT!

• Nice :D

I’ma print some off tonight

• The DLR will be unaffected by the strike thingy, but I still find it funny borg_assimilation_faces_gif 

• So last time the Underground was fine but the DLR was down, now the DLR is fine but the Undergound is down :|

• Jubilee Line and DLR are fine for getting from the Hostel to Excel

• So tired and so happy. It was awesome guys and gals :D 

Pics here 

• I miss you guys already :(

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Well done every people! A good invasion and much mayhem and mayhap spread by all!

A great big thanks to all our wonderful continental soldiers for making it over, Airhead, Delina, Gonzo and Sophie.

A Massive thanks to the far travelling Rev. Geoff for not only making it over, but for also commandeering a deserted MCM stall booth and setting up an impromptu propaganda disperserey.

A great invasion, a great weekend and a hell of alot of pizza, I deem this Invasion a success and hope the rest throughout the year will be just as good!  

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Oh, yeah. I should do a mission report.

It is so much fun to stand in a disused booth, and suddenly project the ‘I’m using this” vibe and having people walk around the booth, rather than through as they had been previously. Also the confused looks on people’s faces when they looked to see what organization I was with… and not finding any official MCM signage… yet still ask me what I was doing.

Propaganda is fun! I’m sad I ran out of propaganda before anyone else found me. Who needs to pay for a booth? I work here!

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Im only sad that I could not get in in time to aid you in your time of need!

• Commander JET
      Keymaster

Your stories..we want’s them! cool *poke poke poke*

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Well, I do have to say one thing. In England, Toy Soldiers are the impromptu medic wall. In Texas, it’s belly-dancers and Deadpools.

• I heard that Brigadier Davis saved a girl from heatstroke on the Saturday running around the Expo to find a medic.

JDUK managed to keep the train doors open for some of the slower marching Toy Soldiers, by stepping between the closing doors and holding up the train departure…
      JD! GET ON THE TURNIPPING TRAIN!!! 

Nerf wars every morning, when in a hostel room with Toy Soldiers ALWAYS put at least one loaded gun under your pillow, and preferably extra darts/discs! 

Engineer Airhead, Delina and myself made some pictures with Airhead’s banner and other cosplayers. Also a bunch of photobombing took place. 

A lot of people asked about my brighties, I gave everyone that asked a flyer and telling them they’re available at the website. 

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Wasn’t JD getting on the wrong car too? I seem to recall other Tube Adventures:

Singing on the DLR, Chatting through the windows on the Jubilee, getting backwards in Canada Water. BEAR getting on the wrong train, and having to meet us at the next station…

• TRAINSURFING WHEEEEE!!!

The tubes of London are much fun!

• Commander JET
      Keymaster

Make sure to re-view the MCM blog! After Airhead submitted his awesome story we got an additional story from JDUK and it’s pretty awesome too! cool

Check it out!

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Finally finished my report as well. Sort of made myself post it to the division website… so that I’d fix the division website!

May Expo 2014 Mission Report

Viewing 69 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.