Holiday Traditions!

Home Forums Where The Children Play Holiday Traditions!

• This topic is empty.

Holiday Traditions!

• So every family must have some of their own little traditions around this time right?

My family has a few.
      We are never allowed the tree up until the house is tidy… or until Christmas eve when mum gives up.
      A more recent one is to go to the Manchester German Christmas Market which is fun.
      Home made crackers usually with a bit of jewellery and possibly a pair of knickers placed in them.
      Rudolph the Headless reindeer
      My mum used to always gets earrings for xmas though thats subsided somewhat.

So what are your traditions.

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

My late stepfather entrusted me with his foolproof, guaranteed drunk, bajan (as in, from Barbados) family recipe for Sorrel.
      After we experimented with it a little further, we’ve changed the name to Sexbierum, and it’s become a thing for us now.

TSU-UK will be experiencing it very soon. And the side effects.

• Missus Tea
      Participant

After my dad retired(in 1992, my senior year of high school 8-O ), he discovered he loved to cook and did pretty much ALL of the cooking. He got tired of doing the big deal Christmas dinner thing so he decided we would have Christmas Breakfast. All day, didn’t matter what time you showed up at the house, the only food he made was breakfast-type stuff–think pancakes and cinnamon rolls and this breakfast enchilada stuff, fresh fruit and biscuits and gravy, etc…..

Dad died two years ago and Christmas Breakfast just isn’t the same anymore, even if my stepmom IS an awesome cook in her own right(she’s more of a traditionalist and we have Christmas Dinner now, but if you get there early enough she WILL make you breakfast :) )….

• Evelfa
      Participant

We’re only allowed stocking presents in the morning. Big presents come after lunch

• Dr. Elfinstone
      Participant

Every Christmas that I can remember, my Mom and I have made it a point to buy one new ornament for the tree each year (this year we made one).

In keeping with our Welsh heritage, we honor the Welsh Christmas tradition of each of us opening 1 present each on Christmas Eve, and the rest Chrismas Morning.

We get up early so that we can watch the Disney Parks Christmas Parade on TV, and watch it while we are opening presents.

Each of us will buy a box/bag of special candy for the other to eat Christmas morning-while opening presents and watching the Disney Parade; Lindt Lindor Truffles for my Mom, and anything Ferrero for me.

Drinking Hot Coacoa out of a festive mug while opening the presents/enjoying the parade on TV/eating the decadent fancy chocolates is a requirement–no exceptions.

When we have the BIG tree up, we take a small present and put it in one of our ‘friendship balls’, and hide each ball somewhere on the tree for the other to find.

We usually buy a new little toy to put under the tree.

And if we get up an hour or so before the parade starts on TV, we brew the Cocoa anyway, and begin opening presents in earnest to the sonic backdrop of the soundtrack of Edward Scissorhands.

• Azrael-99
      Participant

well usually i would go to my father house the 24 and my mom house the 25
      my father will welcome us and will say 2 or 3 good old (really really old) joke, my stepmom will make 3 times too much food for all of us, but i will still manage to get 4 plates. there will be the Christmas fruit punch on the table.

as for my mom, she will make a tourtiere [Image Can Not Be Found]

and some potato candy (yummy, that my weak point, cannot leave a plate full of them, must eat them all)

the gift will be given the next morning, when we gonna wake up.

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Ah! Holiday Traditions! Love ’em! Hooray for modern anthropology!

So in New Mexico, there is a large Hispanic (and specifically Spanish Catholic) influence to the holidays. Las Posadas are very common around here, where the local churches all put on re-enactments of the journey to find room in the inn. The paths between the houses were lit with faralitos, historically small fires lining the paths. Over time, they’ve evolved into little paper bags filled with sand and set with votive candles, they’re called luminarias, and are set out all over the city now in decorative arrangements.

My family sets out luminarias along our roof, as well as in the front yard and lining the path to the front door. Lit after dark, they make the bitter New Mexican cold more friendly.

To go with the luminarias, my family traditionally has posole (spicy pork hominy stew) and tamales (shredded beef stuffed corn flour dumplings) for dinner Christmas Eve.

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Stilton soup, that is all

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.