Geocaching and propaganda

Home Forums General Discussions Geocaching and propaganda

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  TheAtomicSoul 6 years ago.

Geocaching and propaganda

• T.F.U. Lucas Usagi
    Participant

The past month and a half I’ve gotten into the world of Geocaching. This activity has capture my imagination and my adventure seeking side. So I was wondering, has there been any talk in the past of a geocaching special interest or propaganda missions involving geocaches?

Are there any other TS Geocachers out there? Shirley there has to be!

• TheAtomicSoul
    Participant

I think there might have been a group for it at one time, before the rebuild.

I’ve wanted to get into it for a while, but my new phone is a POS and wouldn’t work for it (and I can’t afford a traditional device to do it with.)

I’ve got something planned that’ll be perfect for dropping in catches- hope to get a pic of it posted within the week.

• T.F.U. Lucas Usagi
    Participant

Awesome!
    I’ve got an idea to buy some cheap 1 gig flash drives (maybe even smaller) and loading them with digital propaganda and the Tribute album. Bookmarks and flyers seem like the perfect items for caches, cheaper, able to read on the spot, but something mysterious like a decorated jumpdrive memory stick may ignite the imagination a little more. :)
    Can’t wait to see what you’ve got in store!

FYI, the 11th Annual CITO is next weekend (April  20, 21, and 22).
    CITO (Cache In, Trach Out) is a world-wide event where litter and trash are cleared from geocaching friendly areas. Some CITO events go as far as removing invasive species, plant trees and build trails.

• T.F.U. Lucas Usagi
    Participant

In case anyone is interested in joining any or all of the geocaching fun, or want to know more, go to… http://www.geocahcing.com

• Cpl.Deimos Poe
    Participant

if anyone is interested i would love to form a group for geocaching

• T.F.U. Lucas Usagi
    Participant

If there are enough soldiers interested there could be a special interest division. I would be up for its creation. :)

• Mike Bigelow
    Participant

Some friends and myself will be geocaching next week. Its one of the coolest things haha! Just wish I had my own gps… those buggers are danged expensive. >.> 

• TheAtomicSoul
    Participant

I just got the model I’m making in to drop in caches. I’d be interesting in helping this group, but I don’t have a GPS and my phone is a POS- so it won’t work as one. :(

• T.F.U. Lucas Usagi
    Participant

I see. I’ve got a decent smartphone due to my wife’s family plan. Maybe you could download the desktop application and then make like some kind of Geocaching journal and write down the locations and their hints. Like an old fashioned treasure hunt. Maybe even use Google maps/Earth to print out the GPS points on a map. ^_^

• TheAtomicSoul
    Participant

@T.F.U. Lucas Usagi said:
     Maybe you could download the desktop application and then make like some kind of Geocaching journal and write down the locations and their hints. Like an old fashioned treasure hunt.

I tried, problem is it’s nothing like an old fashioned treasure hunt: when the caches rely on GPS to find the exact spot and no one puts written directions (“Face South at the Flagpole and walk 60 feet”) it’s near impossible to find anything but light post caches. And even then you haft to check several posts. :(

I’m in hopes o getting a new phone later this summer so I can start caching. :)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.