Filter by Custom Post Type

Gaming Marathon 2017

Home Forums General Discussions Gaming Marathon 2017

• This topic is empty.

Gaming Marathon 2017

• Silent Addle
      Participant

Good morning Army of Toy Soldiers!

It is now the end of September, which means we have just over 6 months til the next Gaming Marathon so we are gonna start with the planning and preparing so we can make the 2017 event bigger and better than 2016 could even dream of!

Now, to start with I just want you to be aware that we are going to be branding the Toy Soldier Gaming Marathon as the “The Gaming Mammoth” going forward, since everyone took to calling it the Mammoth last year a rebranding just seemed natural and allows us a few bonuses which we will reveal later. I just mention it now so you won’t be confused when we talk about The Mammoth.
      Secondly, you may be aware that I have been in the background of previous marathons helping out. This year I am stepping forward in order to let LtSophie and Airhead focus on other parts of the event, so if you have any questions about the event and don’t want to ask publicly, you can always PM me.

With that out of the way, we are now looking to pick our 2017 charity. Who we choose to support is down to the community. I have gone through and sorted out three charities I think deserve help but also in some way represent some of the values of the Army of Toy Soldiers, so what I need you guys to do is take a look at the list and think about who you most want to support here. I am only giving you a very quick description but attaching a link to each of their websites so you can see all the info about each group, a poll will be attached to this post and will be open til October 2nd from which your decision is final.

Charity 1 – Mind
      A support charity for those with mental health troubles, based in the United Kingdom.
      With the goal of raising awareness and assisting those who suffer from mental illness, Mind helps in a wide range of ways from providing crisis-care, encouraging outdoor activity through eco-therapy and even providing legal support.
      Their website with full information on their services and campaigns can be found here: http://www.mind.org.uk/

Charity 2 – Doctors without Borders
      I am sure we’ve all heard of Doctors without Borders, even if it is only from TV shows and films.
      For those unfamiliar with the organisation, Doctors without Borders is an international organisation that is pledged to provide assistence to those in need, whether they are victims of natural disasters or war, the group brings relief to people in need across the world.
      Their website with more information can be found here: http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Charity 3 – First Book
      First Book seek to decrease childhood illiteracy.
      Simple as that really, but we all know that reading as a child can increase empathy, bolster intelligence and creativity, for some of us a book was the friend we said goodnight to and for some it was a refuge from the world.
      First Book can be found here: https://www.firstbook.org/

So we have three charities, each doing something different, from support to healing and improving the world.
      Make your vote, open a discussion and we can get this ball rolling.

I will be checking in daily, so if you have anything you want to ask go ahead and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

-Silent

[sp_show_poll id=”36″]

• jc224
      Participant

Hello, I’m brand new to this community so I’m trying to get familiar with how things are done. I couldn’t really find much about the last gaming marathon done by the TS (probably didn’t look hard enough). I was wondering how these marathons worked. Do you guys gather together somewhere or is this an online thing? One of the charities listed are in the U.K so are you going to be in that country? I’m not too familiar with where most members are but from my understanding the community is fairly widespread. 

Thank you

• Korporal Kopper
      Participant

Greetings Soldier!

The gaming Mammoth last year was basically a marathon weekend of online streaming of various games, and throughout we raise awareness with channel viewers of whichever charity we are supporting. Last year was E-Nable, a community of 3D printers that construct prosthetic limbs for children using open source schematics. 

During that event, I played Minecraft for the first time ever along side other TSU members and had such a blast that Minecraft is now my go-to outlet fir casual game play. Last year we exceeded our goals, and had a great time online with each other.

Hope that helps!

• Captain Dermut
      Participant

I do tend to pick the charity with the widest impact. Hence my choosing DWB this year. But all, even local projects, do good works.

We do seem to have charities that operate in different area’s from each other.

• Crash Test
      Participant

my vote is for D.W.B. that being said i know here in the states one of the big charities is St. Judes for those not familer with it. it is a charity that helps kids who have terminal diseases doesnt matter how rich or poor the family is the child gets treated and the parents are never billed for it. i know its an organisation that has helped my family in the past. im hoping one day TSU can rally for this cause also.

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

@jc224 said:
      Hello, I’m brand new to this community so I’m trying to get familiar with how things are done. I couldn’t really find much about the last gaming marathon done by the TS (probably didn’t look hard enough). I was wondering how these marathons worked. Do you guys gather together somewhere or is this an online thing? One of the charities listed are in the U.K so are you going to be in that country? I’m not too familiar with where most members are but from my understanding the community is fairly widespread. 

Thank you  

Hey jc224!

First of all, welcome to the Digital Bunker and thanks for your interest. wink

The Gaming Mammoth is a gaming and streaming marathon that takes place each year around March/April. We get together online (next year using a Discord server for the first time) to game together, and have some of us streaming the entire thing on the internet (Twitch). We have several events going on throughout the weekend as well. Last year, we had a Saturday Special with a livestream of a boardgame evening, playing Betrayal at House on the Hill and other games. The Minecraft gamers built and dug an entire weekend, littering the landscape with sculptures and monuments and firing a huge rocket by the end of Sunday.
      Other streamers played puzzle games, RPGs, or travelled space. 

You see, there are many things you can do throughout the Mammoth, be it that you join the Minecrafters or have your own stream running.
      At some point we would really like to gather in one place for this event, but as you said we are fairly widespread. So that won’t be happening anytime soon.

If you have any questions regarding the Mammoth, don’t hesitate to ask here or one of the organisers (SilentAddle, Engineer Airhead or me).

Btw, you can read up the success of our last Mammoth here. That said, we do not really have any forum posts that explicitely explain what the Gaming Mammoth is, but we have a website which you can have a look at.

Hope I could help. cool

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

@Crash Test said:
       im hoping one day TSU can rally for this cause also.

We always take suggestions from our comrades. smile We shall add it to our list for 2018.

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

So, it is decided. Next year’s charity supported by the Gaming Mammoth will be Mind.

Thank you all for your participation in the poll! We will now work on organising sponsors and supporters, soon the list for the streamers and gamers will be up, too. laugh

Viewing 7 reply threads

The forum ‘General Discussions’ is closed to new topics and replies.