Search
Generic filters
Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type

FLAG DESIGN CONTEST INFORMATION AND RULES!!!

Kromina Sofya Art

Home Forums Special Operations Divisions SLASHER FLAG DESIGN CONTEST INFORMATION AND RULES!!!

• This topic is empty.

FLAG DESIGN CONTEST INFORMATION AND RULES!!!

• Cpl.Deimos Poe
      Participant

After seeing the new flags available for purchase in the armory i have a cool idea for a contest. Ladies and gentlemen, starting today you have two weeks to come up with a awesome design for the flag for SLASHER. after those two weeks are up we will vote on which design is the best and that one will be made into the flag for our unit! the design that gets the second most votes will get turned into a poster.

here are the rules(not many but there are some)
      1. can’t be too graphic(this is going up on our page as the cover photo and will be in the TSU store.
      2. needs to incorporate the insignia of SLASHER. doesnt need to be super big but does need to be present.
      3. only mandatory colors are Yellow, Black, and Red. as long as it fits with the theme of the SLASHER unit anything else is fair game.

As i said, participants have two weeks from today to submit their entries. To make it easier for all the participants. I will be making a thread SOLELY for entries in our unit area in the forums. Once all the entries are in. I will get a poll or something set up and we will go from there. Again entries are to be submitting NO LATER than November 12, 2015. i look forward to seeing what you ghouls come up with. Have fun!!!!

• Silent Addle
      Participant

What dimensions do you need the flag designed in? And would you want a “scaled down” version posted to the entries thread so we don’t have pictures that are 5ft wide?

• Cpl.Deimos Poe
      Participant

Well the dimensions of the flag currently selling in the armory is 30x20x5 cm so i’d stick with that. and as far as the picture if you can make it small enough that we can see the whole picture without it being massive. i’m sorry that isnt specific but im not sure how to tell you anything else

• SLIII
      Participant

Firstly, I’m  not a member of Slasher but I do have a passion for flags. I’m just throwing in my 2 cents.

Anyone looking from some design guidance for flags should definatly check out a TED Talk that I really enjoyed: http://www.sanfranciscoflag.com/

Informative and fun, it’ll make anyone care about design and vexillology (study of flags). If you don’t have time to watch the talk, which you’d really be missing out on, I’ve posted the principles below:

Five basic principles for flag design:

1. Keep it simple. A flag should be so simple, a child can draw it from memory.
      2. Use meaningful symbolism.
      3. Use two to three basic colours from the standard colour set (red, white, blue, green, yellow, black).
      4. No lettering or seals. Never use any text of any kind because you can’t read it at a distance.
      5. Be distinctive (or be related).

When making your design, I’d suggest keeping this in mind:

“A three by five foot flag on a pole 100 feet away looks about the same size as a one by one and a half inch rectagle seen about 50 inches from your eye. You’d be surprised at how compelling and simple a design can be when you hold your design to that limitation.” – Ted Kaye, author of Good Flag, Bad Flag.

Again, this is just my two cents. There are no persons out there policing these principles.

• Cpl.Deimos Poe
      Participant

Thank you for your input, i greatly appreciate it :)

• SLIII
      Participant

In the last couple days I’ve created about 8 TSU flag designs in about 70 variations. At least 3-4 apply to SLASHER. I’ll perfect one and post shortly.

In the meantime, if anyone uses Paper by FiftyThree you can play around with a few templates I’ve put together here.

• Silent Addle
      Participant

Should also be added that I have the slasher icon at about 2500×2500 pixels, if anyone needs that or one larger let me know and I will grab it from the warchest and upload it somewhere.

• SLIII
      Participant

@Silent Addle said:
      Should also be added that I have the slasher icon at about 2500×2500 pixels, if anyone needs that or one larger let me know and I will grab it from the warchest and upload it somewhere.

Damn, I just spent 40 min or so tracing it for myself. Oh well. Lesson learned.

• Silent Addle
      Participant

@SLIII said:

@Silent Addle said:

Damn, I just spent 40 min or so tracing it for myself. Oh well. Lesson learned.

I’m sorry, I really should have thought about it before.

It just sort of struck me this weekend that not everyone has the same resources I do, I tend to hoard them like some kind of dragon, so I thought I should share them, I just offered a little too late and I apologise for that.

• SLIII
      Participant

@Silent Addle said:

I’m sorry, I really should have thought about it before.

It just sort of struck me this weekend that not everyone has the same resources I do, I tend to hoard them like some kind of dragon, so I thought I should share them, I just offered a little too late and I apologise for that.

Forget about it. There’s s good chance I would have traced it anyway.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.