Exact matches only
Filter by Custom Post Type

Book of Toy Soldiers

Home Forums Special Operations Divisions WRITE Book of Toy Soldiers

• This topic is empty.

Book of Toy Soldiers

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

So, a loooooong time ago on the old site (or buried in the deepest part of this one) I saw a thread talking about creating a book about Toy Soldiers. I was interested. And then it vanished. Now, I love to read. And I quite enjoy Toy Soldiers. So what if you put them together? Simple! The fun becomes doubled! I also try and get books of things that play a large role in my life. So that when I’m 80 and sitting in a rocking chair (because rocking chairs are BAWS!), I can whip that badboy off the shelf and relive some pretty dang awesome memories. So, I was thinking of trying to organize some sort of book creation. I don’t have any specific idea for it yet (just a concept for a book), but I don’t want this to be individual project. No. Why double the fun when you can quadruple it with the help of friends! So, with a heck of a lot of teamwork, we can create a history book! No, a book about fun and what TSU is all about! No, a collection of short stories written by fellow soldiers! No no… maybe all of those in one. The possibilities are endless! So, anyone up for something like this?

• Mm…. this calls for some brainstorming. What do you think should happen?

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

I have no idea! I was thinking maybe an introduction explaining what Toy Soldiers is all about, and then delving into a little history, TSU ideals, and then written stories or pieces about TSU experiences, etc.

• I say we go for it!! :D We can get personal stories for soldiers, nurses, and scouts. Some background History, the manifesto, first person accounts of the invasions and such. OH it’ll be so much fun!

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

Oh smurf! I thought everyone forgot about this thread and it was going to die alone in the depths of the forums. Well, if there’s interest, I’m sure as heck willing to go through with it. But I have to add that I’ve never organized a book before, so I may need a little help with it. But yeah, if people are interested, I can see this working. :wink:

• Jade Valor
      Participant

sounds awesome….it be one BIG book though…might need a trilogy :D

[End Message]

• Captain Dermut
      Participant

A trilogy in 5 parts….

• I’m down to help with whatever :)

• Lt. Gob
      Participant

Sounds cool – I’m in! Together with the manifesto or perhaps on one of the first couple pages or something perhaps we should have a list/set of rules that Toy Soldiers standby or don’t standby as the case may be. Just an idea…

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

Well, it sure has been awhile since I have visited this post, eh? Well, things have been getting busy, and I haven’t had much time to work on personal projects and such. But I am getting back into the mood to work on this. So how about reviving this thing and getting it started? Any volunteers? Those who volunteered all those months back still interested in helping?

Well, if you guys are still interested, you can give me some help by telling me what you guys want to see in the book. I have a few basic ideas, but I want to get a few established ideas from other soldiers. I was thinking about maybe dividing this book into sections for each topic/idea we choose for a section.

I would like to include a section containing a history of Dr. Steel and the army of Toy Soldiers, because I think that would be fun to learn about. I know a lot of you guys have been here for several years, so you guys have experienced some of the history first hand. So that’d be nice.

Another section I’d like to see would be testimonials from other soldiers. Talking about how they found the army and how it has impacted their lives. Getting some information from other soldiers who have been apart of this army for years is always nice, and it would be a good way to show people what the army is about and how individuals choose to participate.

So what do you guys think? Would any of you be interested in helping out with this? Not only would this be an interesting read for Toy Soldiers, but it could also be used as a propaganda tool! To help individuals learn all about the army, which may encourage them to want to join! It’s perfect! Leave your comments and concerns below! :?

• Me likes this idea!

I’ve always been into creating little books of sort, be it comic or fanzine or even magazine.

I always get sidetracked somehow, by life, but I am interested in helping however I can!

if ya need anything, just let me know!

I’ve done three Dr. Steel/Toy Soldier publications, originally called Steel Toe.

I’ve also made magazines that have been circled around the United States from Alaska to New York. and even ended up in the hands of Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails at one point.  (Whether or not he even gave it a look, is beyond me, but still!)

I have been famous and nameless.

So I welcome the challenge and idea!

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

@Dermut said:
      A trilogy in 5 parts….

Your not Douglas Adams, Stop it.

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

Professor Jimmy Blue said 
      I’ve done three Dr. Steel/Toy Soldier publications, originally called Steel Toe.

I’m actually quite curious about this now. Do you think you could link me to them? I’m going to be trying to get some different information and perspectives on the army, so that might be a handy thing.

And in other news regarding this project. I’m not going to be able to get a real start on it for a bit. I’ve got finals coming up, and then the holiday season as well. Both things I’m going to be extremely busy with. But after that, I should be able to get this started in full force.

And I know some of your guys are going to be eager to help with this, so here’s what I’m going to need from some of you guys. I’m thinking of adding a section with different perspectives from soldiers about their experience with the army. About such things as how you found the army, your experiences with the army, memorable moment/favorite parts, where you hope to see the army in the future, etc. Some 300-ish word retrospective on your experience with the army. I can then compile all of those and put them into the book. You could either post them here in this forum or private message me. All of that would be swell.

And I also want to have a background knowledge section of the book, to serve as an introduction to what the army is about and how it got started. A history portion, I would say. And I’ve only been here for about a year, so I can’t say that I’m very experienced with the history. So if anyone reading this is well-versed in Toy Soldier history and could send me some information about how the organization got it’s origins and some key important moments in it’s history, then that’d be great.

And that’s all I have to say right now. I hope I can get a lot of involvement on this project, as I think it could be quite fun for everyone! Thank you all for showing such enthusiasm!

• I don’t have any links to the full issues online, because these were done in limited edition print form.  I never scanned them in whole.  However there are bits of some of the art, located in my profiles gallery like the “Seamonkeys” parody,  the mad doctor’s tea party (not political),  the Dr. Steel – Jack Skellington inspired art and all of the panel comics.  I had to edit the “Seamonkeys” parody ad because I had originally spelled Dr. Steel’s name wrong, calling him Phineas WALDORF Steel instead of WALDOLF.  Also, it is pre-signature and cleaned up from my original line drawing.  My “Sitchin Guide for Dummies” art was done for a rare music video that may or may not exist in my own personal storage bunker.  Most all of that was created before Dr. Steel retired thus I have to update my art gallery with some of the generally TOY SOLDIER stuff I have been hoarding!

Feel free to use whatever you wish.

I love working on projects like this and am willing to offer any help ya need or want.

• Flare by N-N-E
      Participant

Whatever such a book may become one thing is should clearly NOT be is boring;

To this end I have a few ideas:

Instead of piecing together the book from little bits and hoping for the best, another approach is possible, gather as much raw material as possible, both from contributions written specifically for this project as well as from the TSU forum and any articles about TSU, Dr.Steel and so on then decide HOW the story within the book should be told and WHAT is should transmit,

For example a historical treatise written by a future historian who lives in a (medieval/magical/mythical/utopian/steampunk/technological dictatorship/retro-futuristic/etc..)  future where much has been forgotten about our times in which he tries to understand who and even what Dr.Steel was and what the toy soldiers actually did (where they a music/pirate band for example? where they humans or robots or both?… or neither?)  Using his incomplete knowledge of our world and the scraps of recovered information (the actual raw data collected for the book) to piece things together (often with hilarious results, and sometimes with great insight)

What would you think about such an approach?

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

Alright fellows, allow this to be the initiating post. The one that gives a general outline of what I have planned for this and need help with. I feel I’ve left this sitting a little too long, but I’ve needed time to gather my thoughts about this. I feel that if we all work together, we can make this amazing and a project that army can be proud of. I guaranteed that this will be sheer WINNING! Alright then, on with the show!

This project is going to be rather large and try and cover all aspects of the army, giving someone reading every ounce of knowledge they need to know about what the army does and is about. I’ve decided to divide this up into sections detailing the most important aspects of the army. Now, I can’t do this alone, no way in heck could I. That’s why I’m making this a group project. For the whole army. Anyone that has a broad knowledge of any of these subjects I’m willing to let give it a shot and let do it. My experience with the army is very limited and I’m sure a lot of you have put a lot of time and effort into crafting and helping put some of these together. 

So if you think you could write up a good section on one of the following subjects, shoot me a message and we can discuss specifics of what I’m looking for to get this book to the highest possible quality.

Below are the sections I was hoping to divide the book into and what I am looking for in each section;

*Order is not final and is variable to change.

A. Introduction-

A basic introduction to the book. Giving the reader an idea of why this book was written and a bit of information about the army of soldiers in general. A way to set the tone for the book and inform the reader of what he will be getting while reading said book.

I. What Is TSU?-

This section goes into details about who we are as an organization, what our goals and ideals are, etc. An extension of the introduction, but primarily about the army in specific. To give the reader an idea of what exactly we are about and what we do.

II. Brief History of TSU-

Like any great army, TSU has a history. A grand history I suspect. I’m a person fascinated with history, no matter the subject, and I’m sure a lot of people out there are as well. This would detail the career of Dr. Steel and what he did, the creation of TSU, important moments in its history, and where we will be going. Giving the reader a background on how this all came to be I presume will help give them a deeper appreciation of the army as a whole.

*I’m thinking that this section could be the one in the book that has the most prominent section about Dr. Steel. He was a very important part of the army (we wouldn’t be here without him), but we have to keep in mind that he has since retired and we’ve moved ahead in the direction of his vision. As such, the book should keep a larger focus on the army as a whole and not focus too much on just him.

III. Missions-

This could be written up about what missions are. They play an integral role within the army, so giving some details about them would be important. Aside from some general information about missions, it could also include some information about prominent/favorite missions to give an example of what exactly they entail.

IV. Invasions-

This goes along with missions in that they are very important and a kind of variant of them. But I felt it was a broad enough subject to be given its own section. And in place of mission examples could be success stories of some of the most successful/memorable invasions that have taken place over the army’s life.

V. Propaganda-

This section is for explaining propaganda and how the army has decided to use it. This section can be used to display and go into depth about some of the most important and widely-used propaganda pieces. Ranging from text and images to video (would be shown through screenshots, you can’t really play a video in a book to my knowledge as of yet). This would be a showcase of the variety of ways and areas the soldiers have ventured into to persuade the populace that fun is the greatest of ideals.

VI. Uniforms-

The soldiers wear these proudly to display dedication and unification of our goals and ideals under the banner of the Army of Toy Soldiers. This section would be used to go over the importance of uniforms to the army, and the aspects of the uniform from division to division.

VII. Achievements/Projects-

This ties a bit into the history but goes more into detail about specific events. These projects are the things that TSU has done as a whole to advance our cause. The projects and things that we are most proud of. These can range from specific invasions, army-wide projects, or even charity work done. Also this section can go over what is on the horizon for the army and the different important projects currently being worked on to advance the cause.

IX. Testimonials-

This is the most important part. I will be looking for a few testimonials from those who have been with the army for a very long time and have put a whole load of effort into advancing the cause. They will be about their experience with the army and how it has impacted their lives. I’m thinking a good five – ten of these for the book.

*Don’t worry, there will be another project I’m working on for everyone to give a testimony in. Keep an eye out for that shortly.

X. Epilogue-

To wrap up everything. Give a brief run down of what has been gone over and give information to how others can help and where they can go for more information.

XI. Glossary-

A place to refer to for the vocabulary and terms used by the army to refer to different things. This can range from a lot of words (invasion, propaganda, etc.). To be used to give a reader without a knowledge of our vocabulary a nice idea of what we are actually trying to say.

So that’s that. My vision for this book. Think of it kind of like an encyclopedia of fun, giving all information anyone could ever need about the army all in a nice .pdf file. I think it could be a handy resource for those who would like to find a place to refer to when information is needed, all in one place. 

Now where you all come in. I need to have some people with knowledge of each specific subject to give me some help with this. I want this to be a wide project bringing in help from all over the army. I think it would be a wonderful collaborative project and I would love for anyone who thinks they can help with any of the above sections to give some help to bring this project to a reality.

If you think you can help, leave a message below saying which section you think you could write up and I shall contact you with more information with what exactly I am looking for in regards to the content of the book.

*This is my basic idea of what I want the book to look like. Though writing this, I have taken notice that this could be seen as kind of just regurgitating the information already available on the website. I believe that this book would be an extension of the info already available and give more detail about said things, and even some information the website does not offer.

Though if you guys think that this approach for a book is either to similar to the website or just a little too formal and specific for your tastes, I can pitch another one of the few ideas I have. This was going to be the first of many that I had planned but it can be either scrapped or reworked if this approach does not work for you all.

Also, keep in mind that I do not have any experience doing stuff like this, so cut me some slack if I do some of this stuff wrong over the course of it’s creation.

So again, leave some feedback/requests to help below and we can discuss this whole thing more in detail. Thanks for trudging through all of this. :smile:

• Impressive. If you need any help then be sure to give us a shout alright and Happy TSDay

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Well I’m happy to give the intro a bash if only to get the ball rolling? I’m hardly a veteran soldier, but I believe I should be able to bang something together.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

First draft. Please feel free to comment on it, laugh at it, poke it in the ribs or anything else that may tickle your fancy. I would appreciate any criticism as this is only a first draft.

Book of Toy Soldiers Intro

Salutations. I am assuming you’re reading this now because you are a Toy Soldier, have an interest in the Toy Soldiers or are simply looking for something to complain about to all your followers on some social networking site. Anyway, all that aside I welcome you.
      This is a book composed to give you (whoever you may be) an insight into the founding, history and general workings and purpose of the Army of the Toy Soldiers. Plus with a few juicy bits, such as stories, poetry, pictures, uniforms and propaganda that make the experience all the more fun, for fun is the very purpose of the Toy Soldiers. Imagine a world without it, where people go to work 9-5, come home, watch TV, go to bed, get up, go to work, repeat, repeat, repeat. Doesn’t sound ideal does it? Well thankfully we’re here to help spice things up a bit with banners and posters and cookies (requests for ingredients may be denied) and lots of smiles and laughs.
      The reality is that you don’t have to live in someone else’s ‘reality’, namely the one that gets you to do the most work with the least effort. The one that makes others rich but you never happy.
      We all have goals, wants and dreams, and this is a good thing, because in the pursuit of these goals we find out what we like and dislike, we discover love, make friends and break hearts (I would recommend trying to avoid the last). Essentially we live life, and if that happens to be a life that’s just part of your imagination than who cares, as long it’s the life you want and you’re happy with it. We, the Toy Soldiers, love imagination. So much so, that we encourage you, and everyone else, to forge your own reality and above all enjoy the ride, because that’s what this book is all about, enjoying the ride!

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

Well thank you very much for the contribution of an intro, Commander Radar! It was very nicely written and if that’s only a draft, I cannot wait to see it with some improvements! I’m also glad to see a bit of activity starting to come on in here, and what better way to get the ball rolling than an intro. I just need to get a other people to volunteer their time to writing the different portions then we can really start to get this project started! I am looking forward to what the future has in store for this project! :D

• Commander Radar
      Participant

OK, this is the second draft. Not a lot different as I have only received one positive comment, but I think it sounds a little better and has a grammar mistake corrected… >.>

Again, feedback would be good, but I think I may try tackle part of different subject now and as I am generally stuck in the ways of doing things chronologically (not great I know) I might right an article on what the Toy Soldier’s are, maybe our goals or something.

Book of Toy Soldiers Intro

Salutations. I am assuming you’re reading this now because you are a Toy Soldier, have an interest in the Toy Soldiers or are simply looking for something to complain about to all your followers on some social networking site. Anyway, all that aside I welcome you.

This is a book composed to give you (whoever you may be) an insight into the founding, history and general workings and purpose of the Army of the Toy Soldiers. Plus with a few extras, such as stories, poetry, pictures, uniforms and propaganda that make the experience all the more fun, for fun is the very purpose of the Toy Soldiers. Imagine a world without it, where people go to work 9-5, come home, watch TV, go to bed, get up, go to work, repeat, repeat, repeat. Doesn’t sound ideal does it? Well thankfully we’re here to help spice things up a bit with banners and posters and cookies (requests for ingredients may be denied) and lots of smiles, laughs and the occasional sing along.

The reality is that you don’t have to live in somebody else’s ‘reality’, namely the one that gets you to do the most work with the least effort. The one that makes others rich but ignores all the things that you want and that make you happy.

We all have goals, wants and dreams, and this is a good thing, because in the pursuit of these goals we find out what we like and dislike, we discover love, make friends and break hearts (I would recommend trying to avoid the last). Essentially we live life, and if that happens to be a life that’s just part of your imagination then who cares, as long it’s the life you want and you’re happy with it. We, the Toy Soldiers, love imagination. So much so, that we encourage you, and everyone else, to forge your own reality and above all enjoy the ride, because that’s what this book is all about, enjoying the ride!

• Commander Radar
      Participant

This is just a general introduction for the goals of TSU after which I reckon there should be other titles like Engineering Your Own Reality, How To Put The Fun In Wo(fun)rk, and other such things like that. Again, feedback is good, especially constructive feedback.

Why Are We Here

Like all societies, armies and people in general, the Toy Soldiers have a goal, an aspiration, a purpose. That purpose, if you will, is to unite the world and to create a Utopian Playland. Of course many people have no idea what a Utopian Playland is so this book shall try and explain it to you and, if you pay attention, you may even learn something.

“The world is not a pleasant place” and who would argue? We are surrounded by disasters, famine and disease, poverty, war and corruption… but are we truly so at the mercy of these problems that all you can do is live in fear and hope that they’ll never find you or your neighbourhood? The news tells us we are, media portrays that without following the latest fashions and trends you’ll be left rejected by those around you.
       This is not an ideal society, this isn’t even a good society. It’s one that oppresses creativity and individualism, stops people from creating their own path, from engineering their own reality.
       A Utopian Playland is a place where this is not the case.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Oh and also I was thinking should we move this project to google documents and have lots of people sending things in (like articles, art and photos) and have maybe three or four people responsible for editing and arranging all the data. We could pop up a post in the mission forums and see what people send in. Then the final draft can be presented to the members of WRITE and maybe four new people could take on redoing the book as they see fit. Finally all the drafts are sent back to the members of WRITE and a vote for the best one could be made. It’s just an idea, but it might be an efficient or at least effective way of tackling this. I am willing to take part in organisation.

@killercapybara
      what do you think?

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

A few ideas:

1. Ask our photographers (such as Sniper :P ) for photos from invasions, make the book colourful. Maybe also add comics? Other pictures? There are so many creative soldiers out there.

2. Possible that I skipped it, but I’m missing a small paragraph on the Divisions. 

:)

• Commander Radar
      Participant

I think every little scrap of anything is good, but what we need is some people to volunteer to put the pieces together and tweek them so they go well together. I would offer to help edit it, though I intend to write a lot of the pieces and to avoid bias of our own work (for or against), I think people who edit it should at least try avoid submitting too much of their work into the book. My plan is to get four volunteers or so to go through the submitted work and put some sort of order to it. Preferably people who read tremendous amounts, so don’t mind reading large amounts of pieces and know what goes well together, opposed to those more focused on writing or composing. Would anyone be up for that work?

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

I would volunteer for this, but I’m pretty busy with my own project, so I could not guarantuee quality work… Sadly ;)

• Commander Radar
      Participant

@Lt. Sophie said:
      I would volunteer for this, but I’m pretty busy with my own project, so I could not guarantuee quality work… Sadly ;)

That’d be fine. I reckon it’ll take a while, before any significant amount is sent in. Do you have google docs?

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

If you ever need a hand, inspiration  proof reader or anything like that give us a yell, more than happy to help out.

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Well it would be good to have pieces written by some of the members who have been here for a longer time than most. To retell on history, the Dr., and just a bit about our heritage. The book should definitely be able to tell people about where we come from.

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

Where we came from is always very important, As the historian Francis Bacon once commented, “Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it”

• KillerCapybara
      Participant

Wowzers! I’ve gotten some activity from here! Oh boy, I thought this was going to be an extremely slow-growing project, but nawp! We’ve got some interest! Apologies for not positing recently, been busy with things. But let me address the things brought up since my short absence.

First off, I would like to thank you all for your enthusiasm towards this project. Especially you, Commander Radar, who seems to have taken a mighty interest in this project. 

Now to address those things that have come up. Alright, now I’ve seen word of getting a Google Doc set up. Now I do think that would be a smart thing for the future, right now it’s a bit early to get that started. I could open one up, but it would be quite empty right now as I only have two drafts of two sections from radar (both drafts look very nice, by the way). So a Google Doc will be opened up later on for editing and easy viewing purposes, but I would like to gather some more parts of the book first and compile those before moving on to that.

Speaking of parts, I still need to find some volunteers for that. We have two being covered by the same person, and not too much other content to work with. I appreciate offers to help edit and proofread and such, but if we don’t have any fellows volunteer to write then we don’t have anything to edit, do we? I can handle basic editing and proofreading for the start of this, but I do think that it is of the utmost importance for this project. So if you (or know anyone who) would be good at and enjoy contributing to a section of the book, then I would be happy to discuss that further with you.

Remember that you can post your sections either here in this topic or through private message. I know that we can work together and bring something awesome from this, so again, if you’re interested in contributing, don’t be afraid to either contact me or post in this thread. Thank you all again for the interest! :D

• Lt. Sophie
      Keymaster

@Commander Radar said:

@Lt. Sophie said:

That’d be fine. I reckon it’ll take a while, before any significant amount is sent in. Do you have google docs?

Not yet. ;)

• Commander Radar
      Participant

Hey idea. We should start a mission in the mission forum for soldiers to send in pictures, notes, previous invasions that were successful and other works of their genius little pinecones. It’d spark some life into this project again. All we’d need is someone to collect it and assign it to the right subheading. What do people think?

• Commander Radar
      Participant

P.S. I could put a shout in the PATF. The members often have some juicy self made prop and pictures?

• Greetings,

If you are looking for an editor (who will occasionally add smatterings of opinion and introduction before and after pieces) I would be more than happy to assist. I already have my own novel on the go, but assisting in the collation of work for the TSU would be a joy.

This would follow on from Radar’s principle that whoever edits, should not be producing large sections of the work. I am more than happy to add flavour commentary etc. but also have my own projects (novel, poetry, blog and a whole freaking convention!) to attend to…

• Minion
      Participant

I love writing! Count me in! :D

• Minion
      Participant

This is already in the forum but it could be relevant here so I’ll repost it.

Why should I join?
       Because having fun seems to be getting rarer in the world and few appreciate the need for it anymore, we’re told to discard our dreams instead of embracing them. Our passions are often discarded by others as idle dreams or wastes of time when they should be encouraged. The Toy Soldiers aim to change all of that and show that creativity is humanities strongest trait, that our passions should be embraced and that having fun is not just a waste of time but it is in fact a need.
      How do they carry this out?
      We have fun ourselves and share our creativity with the world to show that this is a good thing. We also recruit others to share in our dream of a better world using videos, posters and word of word among other things.

She also asked about Dr Steel so I’ll add that in here too.

Dr Steel ignited a fire in every Toy Soldier, using creativity we can change the world, all we need is to spread the word and grow in numbers for it to be done.
       What else does he do?
       He entertained, his music captured our attention and his toys brought delight to us. His speeches inspired us to use our imaginations to their fullest potential.

Viewing 36 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.