Home Forums Divisions #97

• This topic is empty.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

#97 The Fighting 97th
      http://www.toysoldiersunite.com/groups/97-the-fighting-97th/

Division Leader: Corporal YJ Watts

#97 The Fighting 97th – The New England area division for Toy Soldiers.

The only pre-requisite of joining this fine, and long-running division, is that you live in New England.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Yay!
      So, I’m still waiting on the last witch hunt badge image :]

• Commander JET
      Participant

Hello AJ!
      There is no 97th on this site unfortunately. If you would like to start it again we would be more than happy to for you! If you have 4 members, please write one of us with a request and we will set it up and make you a proper thread!

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Dark, I never ended up making the badge because you were the only one who submitted a picture.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

I got some email about Dutch saying he owes me a robot, but I don’t see it here.

• So whats next for the 97th?!?!?

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Toy Soldier Day is coming up, but Drone, Jack and I will be in California for Disney Land. Might I suggest someone set up a Laser Quest invasion or something?

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

I’ll count as one if it helps.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Cross posted to FB:

Weather’s getting nicer. Anyone have any events we should all hit up together? Also, the old forums and such are back up at old.toysoldiersunite.com. Totally just posted there. :twisted:

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

AJ, at the moment, the old site is just there for posterity and we’re intending on locking the forums, as using both sites on the same server will slow both down again. We were planning on announcing it later this month, but you’ve kinda blown the whistle on that.
      Again, the reason we changed sites altogether was due the old site becoming unusuable and uneditable without the rest of it crashing.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Sgt. Dutch:
      AJ, at the moment, the old site is just there for posterity and we

• Corporal AJ Watts:
      Cross posted to FB:

Weather

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

I wanted so bad to do the Zombie Run, but I can’t get it off from work :[

• @dark

Do you think you would be able to come to NERF WAR next month?

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Captain Mayo:
      @dark
      Do you think you would be able to come to NERF WAR next month?

I’ll have to double check, I feel like that is the Saturday of our big donor gala for the stage.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

So yes, the gala is on the 28th, which means I wouldn’t be able to make it. :[

• Andrew_M
      Participant

So with the weather getting pretty amazing, would folks like to hit up a beach or something one weekend?

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Sounds good to me. Any idea when?

• Where there any plans for a Battle Ship Cove invasion? If not I would like to plan one.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

I’m always down for stomping around on a battleship.

• Madelchai

Did I read right, one of the most active and well known divisions needed to prove it had 4 members?

lolwut

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Working on coming, but apparently I promised to go to an aunt’s retirement party. So, we’ll see how this plays out.

• Corporal YJ Watts: Working on coming, but apparently I promised to go to an aunt

• Drone
      Participant

SHADDUP MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Madelchai

Drone:
      SHADDUP MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a statement I can get behind.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Summer invasion ideas. Go!

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

There’s still the possibility of the Connecticon Invasion. Weekend passes, through May 20th are $50. I was hoping to get a table, but vendor space is all sold out, so I’m looking into an artist table. I’m still not totally sold on needing a table, I think if we just had a presence there, that would be enough. If nothing else, I’ll roam the lobby again this year with plenty of prop. Perhaps even in the robot costume, but I would need support if I did that.

Connecticion Registration

• Corporal YJ Watts:
      Summer invasion ideas. Go!

here are some dates for missions ill be putting up this week.

May 5 – NERF War make up date at my house. http://www.toysoldiersunite.com/forums/topic/new-england-nerf-war

May 26 – Battleship Cove

June 21 – Go Skate Day

August 18 – Six Flags New England 2

These are some of my ideas. Anyone know when the planing for Zombie Picnic 4 will start??

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Pretty soon. I’ve gotta talk to one or two people. Any way we might be able to move the 6 Flags invasion a bit? I might be in Florida from the 8th-18th of August.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Later maybe?

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

What time would the Battleship Cove invasion be? I have an evening show and would have to be back in Hartford for 6pm.

• TS_Dark:
      What time would the Battleship Cove invasion be? I have an evening show and would have to be back in Hartford for 6pm.

im thinking we all meet up at noon like last year.

ill be starting the mission thread by wednesday.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

Just a heads up, we currently do not have a description for the 97th group page. Not sure if anyone has the old description on hand or if we want a new one.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Captain Mayo: im thinking we all meet up at noon like last year.

Then that should work out wonderfully!

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Andrew_M:
      Just a heads up, we currently do not have a description for the 97th group page.Not sure if anyone has the old description on hand or if we want a new one.

Since they took the old site down, we all lost pretty much everything on it. I’ll get on writing a new one, asap.

• I’m still waiting on everyone to reply in the NERF War thread. :evil:

Come on 97th lets start the this summer off with a bang

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

So I know its early, but the Hooker St. Parade happens around the beginning of October in Hartford CT. It is much like the Doo Dah parade insomuch as it is all about having a parade for the fun of it. I’m waiting to hear back for the exact date and times, but would start setting up an entry form if I knew that there would be a large enough group to justify marching. Grand prize for group is $500. If nothing else, its a fun excuse to march in a parade, hand out prop, and possibly build a float.

Hooker St. Parade

2011 Hooker St. Parade Registration

• TS_Dark:
      So I know its early, but the Hooker St. Parade happens around the beginning of October in Hartford CT. It is much like the Doo Dah parade insomuch as it is all about having a parade for the fun of it. I

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

I don’t think it costs anything to march, just have to register. Since the only active soldiers I know of in the area are you guys, I would assume carpooling might be the best option. If we march we have the possibility of winning the $500 grand prize.

• that sounds good dark as long as its not Oct 12,13,14 (thats rockandshock dates) i should be down. keep us updated

• Andrew_M
      Participant

Nope, can’t do that date either. Guess I’m missing everything currently.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

So the Hooker St. Parade is on October 20th. Yes is it close to the Witch Hunt, but I don’t think it should conflict. If anything, it may even help with the production of signage to then carry at the Hunt.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

::INVASION::
      Connecticon
      July 13th~15th

I’ll be there, if I get enough support I’ll bring the robot costume. I am hoping this can become an annual Invasion.
      I have some space for people to couch. Contact: [email protected]

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Can’t do Six Flags. As I said before, I’ll be in Florida on the 18th.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

So, I’ve gotten virtually no response on the Connecticon Invasion. I will be there, in uniform and in costume.

• @dark

Im thinking I should be able to go Saturday I’ll keep you updated

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

[video]http://youtu.be/SsJxgsuC8ZQ?t=50s[/video]

TSU at Salem 2011

Hey Look what I found!

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

[video]http://youtu.be/FvhnlbtMHWM?t=9m5s[/video]

TSU invades!

And another one!

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Nice find, Dark.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

So what’s happening folks?

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Yeah, I haven’t seen anything here or on facebook…

• Andrew_M
      Participant

We kinda lost Jack, so it’s up to AJ and Drone to tear themselves from each other’s embrace long enough to let us know what’s going on.

• Madelchai

Facebook is the easier of the communication methods.

Recently I’ve been to England, and we’ve had AJ’s cookout, but that’s been about it.

Not sure what other plans there are at the moment.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

Did anyone else just get a rather ambiguous message from a ‘Joy’?

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

TBH, we lost a lot more than Jack. We lost pretty much everyone around the time we lost the Doc. It basically boils down to Maddy, Andrew, Mayo, Dark, and myself. Hell, the only people who ever contact me are Maddy and Dark. (Dark, I know I haven’t been very available, I apologize.)

As far as Witch Hunt is concerned, (Which Dark asked me about recently), I’m going to Salem on Halloween. Halloween’s a Wednesday, so it’s going to be a pain in the ass for lots of people. I’m not wearing a uniform, I’ll probably be in some kind of costume. I’m not handing anything out or stopping to promote. I’m going to have fun.

I have no idea if anyone’s going to be travelling here, as I haven’t really planned anything. I mean, if a group of people come with me, I’m still going to call it “Witch Hunt” and maybe set up some games, but it’s not going to be a strictly-soldier event, as most of my friends have quit TSU, and I haven’t exactly been super active lately. Obviously, anyone, soldier or not, is welcome to come hang out with me and have some fun. That’s what it’s all about. And if people need a place to crash, I’ll do what I can.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Thank you for touching base

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Not a problem. No matter how you swing it, you guys are still my friends.

• TheAtomicSoul
      Participant

Corporal YJ Watts:
      As far as Witch Hunt is concerned, (Which Dark asked me about recently), I

• Andrew_M
      Participant

Will have to get back to you on the subject of halloween as we get closer. This will be the kid’s first halloween, so I’m not sure what’s going to be happening on my end.

• Madelchai

Corporal YJ Watts:
      Not a problem. No matter how you swing it, you guys are still my friends.

Agreed.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Well, I know Mayo and myself are going to be ramping up efforts to get some fundraising towards the Rock and Shock. We also are getting season passes for Six Flags, and intend to have multiple Tactical Playtime Training days there through out the summer.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

You guys didn’t lose me. Not permanently anyway.

It does truly sadden me to see the Fighting 97th in such disarray, and can’t help feel responsible for it. When I left I said TSU would close in a year, and here it is proving me wrong. Now after more than a year break myself, I am making good on a promise I made to come back and give it a fair go. Hopefully we can rekindle some of the glory us folks used to have.

Captain Out

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Welcome back Jack!

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

Thanks buddy. At some point I’m going to get skype going now that it’s paid for again. 

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Why do you pay for skype? I thought it was free?

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

Skype offers group video. Only the 1 on 1 is free. best Buy pays for me to have the group chat. It’s the closest thing we have to stickam now that it’s gone. 

• Raptor
      Participant

Random bump of encouragement from the UK here. I do love the work that you guys do in the States and welcome back Jack. 

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

You guys used to be the most active division in the US, Hope you can get that title back.

Good to have you back aboard Captain.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

The key will be getting back as many regulars as I can before moving on to a fresh new roster. I’ll have to catch Aj and Genna when they are fresh off their Disney trip with soldiery things fresh in the mind. 

The rest of the crew will be tougher. There is a lot of grumpy feelings and hurt to break through for a lot of people. Although I’m confident if we give it a fair go I can rouse the troops once more. 

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

If anyone can do it, im sure that you can Jack.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

Don’t worry folks.

I got this.

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Don’t gotta catch me off of anything. I’m still around. I don’t rock a uniform anymore, but you better your sweet ass I was rocking a patch and some pins. When I find a pic of me from the Disney invasion, I’ll post it.

Genna’s on you to try, bro. The issue with most isn’t even the hurt, or grumpiness, or anything. At this point, most have moved on. And without any one unifying figurehead/band/artist/anything to rally around, it’s hard to get new people. We’re all on board because of an idea. It’s a damned good idea, but it’s hard to sell people on new ideas without some kind of face or voice or sound or icon. I mean, we’ve got a creepy/cute robot head, but that’s about it.

But you know me, I don’t give up on shit.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

I figured as much. Well what if it was me? What if Captain Jack surprised everyone and started releasing content based on improving this world for the better enjoyment of all? What if I donned my uniform again and called to all the people we’ve grown apart from?

Remember the days we used to have 2 dozen people in skype all at once fighting for a spot in the video? I think I can capture that again. With a bit of work. I wrote a video including some of the prominent Div 97 members. I would like to finish and post it.

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

If you ever need a hand or want an extra face in a Video Jack, You know where to find me!

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

I appreciate that Iron. I just may take you up on that. Also not that Best Buy is paying for my skype again we should get some chats going. Invite some new people and wake some of these folks up.

• Brigadier Davis
      Participant

@Jack YJ said:
      I appreciate that Iron. I just may take you up on that. Also not that Best Buy is paying for my skype again we should get some chats going. Invite some new people and wake some of these folks up.

Ahh the old 46,000 soldiers in a Skype chat days, how ive missed thee…Almost as much as Stickam XD

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

DARK! I have an Idea and I need your help!

Do you remember that sweet Mech suit you built for Witch Hunt not too long ago?

I was thinking, why not a Toy Soldier Mechanized Corps. Since I want to build one myself, it only makes sense to invite more people into it.

Lemme know.

• Raptor
      Participant

I support this idea. Also, I wanna join.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

@Jack YJ said:

I was thinking, why not a Toy Soldier Mechanized Corps. Since I want to build one myself, it only makes sense to invite more people into it.

Lemme know.

Jack,

I am totally in favor of this. Currently the suit is undergoing some reconstruction and design upgrades. I’m trying to use more resilient materials other than cardboard, as well as engineer a method for easier entry into the stilts. 

If there ended up being a TS Mech Corp, I see a plethora of possibilities, not to mention the awe striking effect of a half dozen soldiers meched up.

What would you be needing help from my end on?

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

I’m way to big to cram into a wood and whatnot mech suit, but I’ll do what I can to help. Painting maybe. Also, just got an invite to Bastian’s wedding! Didn’t even know he was engaged. Pretty pumped about it.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

AJ,

As we found at the Witch Hunt, it is always a good idea to have some ground support, mechanics, for the people in costume. Providing security, or just helping keep people from getting underfoot, as well as answering questions and the like.

Congrats on the invite, send my best wishes along.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

@The Incredible Mr. Dark said:

@Jack YJ said:

Lemme know.

Jack,

I am totally in favor of this. Currently the suit is undergoing some reconstruction and design upgrades. I’m trying to use more resilient materials other than cardboard, as well as engineer a method for easier entry into the stilts. 

If there ended up being a TS Mech Corp, I see a plethora of possibilities, not to mention the awe striking effect of a half dozen soldiers meched up.

What would you be needing help from my end on?

I have a ton of ideas, I need to develop them. What works what doesnt, troubleshoot, practicality issues.

It also doesnt sit well with me we didnt have a full fledged witch hunt.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Well, Halloween being in the middle of the week, I think reduced significant interest this past year. Though if I remember correctly AJ did do a little something, just not in uniform.

In general, for the suit, I tried to keep away from a battle mech. No guns, or obvious weapons. More of a heavy loader, sound engine, or walking propaganda machine. My original stilts used roller blade shoes that I had mounted to wooden stilts. My new ones use ski bindings so I can punch in and out while still keeping boots on my feet, and supports my ankles.

The main “power source” that I have been playing with is an “Imaginengine” powered by the creativity and imagination of the TSU as well as the world.

The color scheme is something to be adjusted. As grand as the battleship grey was, more color, keeping with the TSU standards, would be helpful in differentiating as well as individuality.

• Iamafoodproduct
      Participant

Molding plastic perhaps?:cool:

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

@The Incredible Mr. Dark said:
      Well, Halloween being in the middle of the week, I think reduced significant interest this past year. Though if I remember correctly AJ did do a little something, just not in uniform.

In general, for the suit, I tried to keep away from a battle mech. No guns, or obvious weapons. More of a heavy loader, sound engine, or walking propaganda machine. My original stilts used roller blade shoes that I had mounted to wooden stilts. My new ones use ski bindings so I can punch in and out while still keeping boots on my feet, and supports my ankles.

The main “power source” that I have been playing with is an “Imaginengine” powered by the creativity and imagination of the TSU as well as the world.

The color scheme is something to be adjusted. As grand as the battleship grey was, more color, keeping with the TSU standards, would be helpful in differentiating as well as individuality.

The only weaponry I would consider is standard issue nerf weapons. But I love the idea of a standard power loader. Aliens sort of style I would suppose however If anyone has seen the motorized Patriots from Bioshock they have some awesome elements too. My goal here is essentially shock and awe value. With hopefully at least 3 functional mech suits that can parade around Salem or wherever we can manage to transport these things and immediately start getting attention. 

I guess my next step is working on a design and then preparing to move forward from there.

• Geoff Nicholson
      Participant

Me too. This MechCorps idea sounds great. I can totally use my Hackerspace experience to build bits for the design.

Is there a thread for this? We should totally collaborate!

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

No thread yet and life got a bit hectic there. But the project is still active. Just working on a design. We should get a thread going. Let me get in touch with Dark and we can begin work.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

@Jack YJ said:
      No thread yet and life got a bit hectic there. But the project is still active. Just working on a design. We should get a thread going. Let me get in touch with Dark and we can begin work.

@Agent01101

Geoff started this thread:

Amazing Mechs

• I deff want in on some of this mech suit action… I’ve been designing one for a short while now, with hopes of heading up the next Watch City Festival

• Andrew_M
      Participant

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

I’ll be at Connecticon on this Sunday( 7/14) for anyone who wants to meet up.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

So, anything new with folks?

http://www.witchwoodroleplaying.com/

A new LARP located in Kingston, NH, Witchwood is entering our first fall season.  Only 2 events have happened so far, so there is plenty of new story arcs and lore being written for all players.  If you’re looking for a fantasy LARP, come try us out!

Next event is September 13-15.  It’s coming up fast now so now’s the time to sign up if you’re interested in coming along!

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

Alright folks you want some updates?!

I GOTCHA UPDATES RIGHT HERE!!

Seriously update time.

We’re doing Witch Hunt. 

A) It’s been too long.

B) Lillium asked me if it was possible and I said Challenge accepted!

C) Those dirty Brits took at dig at Disneyland! Makin fun of Disney land is our thing you thieving, tea loving, sons a ….anyway.

We used to plan this almost all year, we have less than two months. I would super appreciate any soldiers who could join us tonight at 9:00 9/4 PM. Sunday 9/8 at 9:PM. Or Wednesday 8/11 at 9 PM for small meetings  to help plan the early stages quick. Essentially we will need to focus on letting other soldiers know it’s happening and help them plan flights or driving directions. We will need crash space for soldiers staying the night. We have decided not to produce a major amount of prop at least from Aj and I’s part. We do plan to use a tablet on site with us for sign ups and I plan to run a costume party for the attendees. Uniforms will not be mandatory. Very simply it’s Halloween, dress how you want (so long as it’s a costume or uniform).

That’s all I have for now, I look forward to meeting up with folks and last minute planning like bosses.

• The Disgraced Dark
      Participant

Perhaps something like this for those who make the invasion:

2013 WH Dog Tag

• i like that dark. what are the details thus far for witch hunt?

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant

Or I can just make badges again, which is usually fairly cheap. However, the Army Barracks near me has a machine to make dog tags, that you just use yourself.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

I think we should meet up on skype at some point. Maybe sunday?

• i wont be able to do sunday for i am filming all day.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

No Official plans for Halloween this year, we simply didn’t have the time. Do your own thing and have fun!

What I am calling for is to rehash the Senate and get the leadership back into swing. I’m calling anyone interested to be on Skype, Sunday at 8 pm to get a head count. With the division so small I suggest 3-5 Senate members only. And from there we will begin pulling this Div out of the ground. Very simply put we need to teach these soldiers how it’s done again and I am looking for strong dedicated soldiers to do it with me.

• I am on call for work all day Sunday so if im not working ill be around. 

• Andrew_M
      Participant

So I’d like to hang out and do something somewhere along the line.  It was awesome seeing Drone and AJ for Rocky last month out my way and I miss seeing everyone.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

http://www.toysoldiersunite.com/forums/game/larp-witchwood-roleplaying

http://www.witchwoodroleplaying.com/

Figured I’d bump this.  The game is on winter break currently and will be resuming come April at a new location in Ashby, MA.  New players get a reduced rate for the first few events and I can tell you it’s quite an enjoyable weekend.  Not to mention my fabulous wife is the one cooking.  The last event for the season she prepared for everyone[staff included] nearly 55 lbs worth of whole turkeys.  And those who have had her cooking can attest that she is an amazing cook.

It’s a very friendly and welcoming LARP and if you give them an idea of what sort of character you want to play ahead of time they’ll even write plot lines specifically for you for your first event.

• Captain Jack YJ
      Participant

I want to give this a go but I’m so bored with fantasy lately. I feel like Future Imperfect might be a good one to look at too if they are still around.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

Yeah, they’re going into another year soon-ish if I remember correctly.  A large number of players of that actually play in WW as well.

What on earth have you been doing to make you bored with fantasy?

• Andrew_M
      Participant

I’m being told my the wife to inform you that it’s very low fantasy and to encourage everyone to come along and join up.  I can certainly say it’s quite fun.

• Drone
      Participant

OMG I DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THIS SITE BUT YOU CAN ALL SUCK IT BECAUSE I AM DRONE AND I AM AWESOME!

• Andrew_M
      Participant

So….things.

Anyone up for some sort of online gaming?  Or some sort of get together for gaming/movies/whatever?

• Corporal YJ Watts
      Participant
    • Andrew_M
      Participant

Ideas then?  Got board and card game space at my place, not to mention an arcade cabinet that can run pretty much anything ps/n64 era and older.

I’ve actually been thinking of starting up a new tabletop game.  Not sure what system or format to run though.

• Andrew_M
      Participant

So…what’s happening folks?

• glomscient
      Participant

Does Pennsylvania count as a part of new England? I live in western Pennsylvania.

• Lt. Para
      Participant

Hey 97th!

There’s an event coming up by the name of the Watch City Steampunk Festival and I was wondering if there are going to be any fellow soldiers there! The event is held in Waltham, MA and it’s the events first year back from a hiatus.

Here’s the Facebook event page for anyone who doesn’t know about this festival and wants some more information!

My Regards,

Lt. Para

Viewing 121 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.