# 462 S.A.M.

Home Forums Special Interest Divisions # 462 S.A.M.

• This topic is empty.

# 462 S.A.M.

• Sgt. Dutch
      Participant

#462 S.A.M. Special Interest Division
      Smoke And Mirrors
      Division page: http://www.toysoldiersunite.com/groups/s-a-m/

This division aims to aid in the creation of a Utopian Playland using magic tricks, sleight of hand and illusion. Pulling a robot out of the hat!

• Odin
      Participant

Welcome everyone to S.A.M. Smoke and Mirrors division. If you are a magician or illusionist, or a preformer of any type that is able to bring out the child in all of us, We NEED YOU! So bring your best tricks illusions and acts and lets plan some fun!!!!

• Woo! Officer Cornelius, reporting for playtime!

• Odin
      Participant

So what kind of magic and or performance arts is everyone into? Me? Im a magician more sleight of hand with cards these days. Just now learning coins and other areas. Figure to be good at it I need to know a bit of everything. I like the old stuff the new stuff but my favorite is one I came up with on my own. reversing the selected card in the deck in front of the spectator. Love it. Kinda wanting to figure out some tricks just for TSU Im working on it =)

• Odin
      Participant

Oh yeah A little selfish of me I know, But we are #462 cause my favorite Tool song is 46 and 2 , such an awesome song, not just the music but the lyrics. Just thought I would share real fast =)

• Haha, Tool is awesome, good use of numbers. I’m into the the story telling aspect of it the most I think, keeping the audience distracted while you perform whatever part of the trick you don’t want them to see. That and card tricks. I really like card tricks.

• Greetings!

Just requested to join.

May the Magic of Toy Soldiers fill the air!

• Odin
      Participant

Well Cornelius can always use a partner, how else am I going to get their card through the window Muhahaha. Welcome Jimmy Blue. What kinda magic do you do? (damnit Im rhyming again, The shrink warned me about that lol)

• We can fold the card into a paper airplane and no one will no the difference! :D

• All of my magic that I do, are all smaller tricks, card tricks and store-bought stuff like the use of thumb tips, trick coins and such. I am not all that great at sleight of hand, while I can do some, I get a little too apprehensive and self conscious about people staring at my hands and not the trick.

When I was younger, I did have a wonderful stage magic mirror box that you show as empty then when the front door is closed, you can pull any number of larger objects out of the top… Including my beloved Bunny Bunny Bun Bun.

• Bunny Bunny Bun Bun? The cutest name for a magic rabbit I’ve ever heard.

• Odin
      Participant

Bunny bunny bun bun love it…Oh to get over the fear of them watching your hands just practice whatev er it is so often that YOU stop worrying about your hands..That way you can stare them in the eye distracting them with 1) eye contact and 2) confidence. Then tell stories to go along with your trick adding patter. Oh and if you need more Im sure bunny bunny bun bun would be willing to lend a hand =)

Let me know if ya need help working on anything. Can always set up a vid call or something. I have stuff I can show you. Just remember never give up the self conciousness goes away the more you perform in front of others. Thats a tough hump to get over, but once ya do its completely worth it.

SALUTES!

• Odin
      Participant

In further news..Trying to get a photoshop type program atm.. Want to make us a logo. I feel a logo would be nice…Also working on preinting some DR steel money from the new propaganda area..Figure learn to turn someones one dollars into fun bux would be cool way of magically spreading the word..Maybe a little torn and restored bux as well..Got a few ideas there…=)

• oooh! I like that idea with the fun bux! Maybe exchanging Mr. Bunny Bunny Bun Bun for a fun-bot would be cool too. I really want to make TSU cards for the card tricks.

• Odin
      Participant

Yeah a deck of TSU cards made with the bycycle finish would be epic. But yeah Need ideas all. So Im planning on invading steamstock in richmond on the 7th of october. Hoping I can get fun bux printed up. Of course be doing some card tricks and such depending on what inspires me. If anyone else is going to be there PM me let me know. Well echange numbers or something and meet up. Im bringing a camera as well. Want to get some good pix.

• Personally, my own kinda self consciousness keeps me from performing in front of people in a stage like setting. I also shy away from straight on eye contact. I’ve never been a fan of the pretentiousness many stage magicians have, or that whole answer to “How’d you do that?” by answering “Very good!” I’ll usually back down and show how some of the tricks work, which is apparently breaking a magicians number one rule. But if you can’t show someone how to do the trick, a lot of times, the interest is lost. If you show others, then they think they can do it, and try and they might develop the magic bug!

• Odin
      Participant

Its all about p[icking and chooseing who to show it to. I always respond this way to someone who seems interested. I ask them to take a bit and consider if they want the magic ruined for them by knowing the trick to be replaced by the magic of performing it. The two are very different in feeling. When I learned it was because Some part of me just HAD to. So now I perform for others. If someone is truely interested the hell with rules. IMHO.

• Odin
      Participant

Ok S.A.M. Here is my challenge to you. Come up with a magic trick that can also Introduce T.S.U. Here one I already have in the workd but I wont count it to be honest. Its a simple colorchange bunt instead of one card turning into another card, the card changes into the Toy Soilder sticker =)Ill post a quick video soon to show it. Just the video might not have sound. My mics not working =)

*Salutes*

• Odin
      Participant

Oh yeah got a few bycycle dragonback decks coming in the mail next week. Cant wait they look so sweet.

• That trick sounds really awesome, I can’t wait to see it. As for mine, it may take a bit, as I gotta find out how to get videos off my camcorder onto my computer…

• Odin
      Participant

You have a sd card reader or you using a micro sd card? Can get a micro sd to sd card adapter. Alot of times can use a simple usb port =)

• Yeah I have the ports, but it runs off of mini dvds instead of an SD, so I’m not sure how to use them, because my computer doesn’t acknowledge they exist. XD If I need to I’ll use a friend’s webcam.

• Odin
      Participant

Sorry guys having serious computer issues. My screen on my laptop died, got a new monitor but its screen is kinda sporatic with how it wants to behave. Working on a new computer but might take awhile. Anyhow hope all of you are well. =)

• Odin
      Participant

Still working on a new machine. Just wanted to say Im so stoked to do some magick at steamstock. Hope others are making it there. Anyhow hope your life is filled with magic, and if it isnt then you need to preform more muhahahahaha

SALUTES!

• Odin
      Participant

Hello hello, is there anybody in there. Do a trick if you can see me. Hehe. Still working on computer issues. I do get my emails. I am still around and still preforming. How is everyone. How was your halloween?

• Greetings Morgan Fogg,

I’m still here, often sidetracked but always here.
      I’ve been trying to figure out how to get my cohort Stibbobo the Wonder Monkey (puppet) do a magic trick for a video production I have been simmering on the back burners. He’s not much at sleight of hand since he doesn’t have hands, only ittle bitty nubs, perhaps he can master the Ickle Pickle Nickle, if only I could find my “reflective disc of dillusion.” He doesn’t talk either so as a magic team we’re like a semi lame version of Penn and Teller.

Halloween was good, hope you are doing great.

• Odin
      Participant

Uggg how the time has flown by. I fixed my computer issues then got a new job giving myself less time. But the upside is I can drop off toy soilder cards to anyone having leaky plumbing that me and my boss visit. Then later people will find the cards and wonder why they are there, thinking that they must have been there cause said person was interested in TSU and bam they will check us out . Muhahah Its a foolproof plan I tell you FOOLPROOF!  Well anyhow thats what Ive been up to. 

Morgan Fogg

• Odin
      Participant

come Station creed to S.A.M. Please tell us a bit about yourself and how you use smoke and mirrors. =)

• I am no magician, sadly, but I do know of an event in the Antelope Valley that could use one if anyone is able/willing to travel out this way :3

• Odin
      Participant

Im not even sure where the Antelope Valley is, And unfortunatly Im lacking a car, and my teleportation device still isnt up and running. But I hope you find one =)

• Doctor Clockwork
      Participant

Greetings fellow Toy Soldiers!

I offer myself for membership in the #462 S.A.M. as a steampunk magician, specializing in Victorian stage and platform magic. My preferred effects include the miser’s dream, the cups and balls, the Chinese linking rings (my favorite) and the production of various and sundry items from an otherwise empty hat.

To quote from the late Cass Elliot: “Dream a little dream with me.”

• Greetings and Salutations,

SAM 462 sounds like a most excellent division of which i would be honored to be a member. My specialties are mental magic and mentalism. My next engagement, i believe, will be the 1st Saturday of July at a Steampunk “Brass n’ Brew”. If you would like i may be able to provide some photos and will certainly do my part in propagandizing for the Utopian Playland!

“The future will be utopian, or there will be none.” Slavoj Žižek

• Doctor Clockwork
      Participant

Morgan Fogg writes:

Ok S.A.M. Here is my challenge to you. Come up with a magic trick that can also Introduce T.S.U. Here one I already have in the workd but I wont count it to be honest. Its a simple colorchange bunt instead of one card turning into another card, the card changes into the Toy Soilder sticker =)Ill post a quick video soon to show it. Just the video might not have sound. My mics not working =) *Salutes*

I was thinking of a gimmick playing card that would have the back of a standard Rider deck, but the face would be of their chosen card with the Toy Soldiers’ logo and web address.

The magician would use a standard card force to make the spectator pick the right card, then while cutting the cards introduce the gimmick card into the deck. The gimmick card would be controlled through a series of false shuffles, then finally placed on top of the deck. The cool part of the trick is that after the presentation is over, the spectator gets to keep the special card as a souvenir.

The gimmick playing card would be simple to make: one would simply go to Staples or another printer and have a hundred copies of the gimmick card printed for distribution.

• Doctor Clockwork
      Participant

JUST A REMINDER: It’s been four weeks since I’ve applied to S.A.M. but have yet to receive confirmation of my membership. :(

• Cpl.Deimos Poe
      Participant

I am an actor(learning more towards the horror genre) i also do a little voice acting and i am an avid fan of old school stage/theater illusions(such as Peppers Ghost and the like) i am constantly trying to find new way to use old school techniques of smoke and mirrors and a little sleight of hand to augment any performance i do in the movies im in or am wanting to create. I love magic but i only know a couple of very small tricks(that i sadly do not have time to practice as much as i’d like) i’d love to learn but feel like i would learn better from a in person lesson rather than books and such.

Viewing 34 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.